Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Now I know inflation is running away with us ... but my home insurance renewal has just gone up by *74%*!

(5 Posts)
firsttimemama Wed 01-Oct-08 02:35:33

I don't live in a flood risk area and I haven't made a claim - surely this can't be right?

RambleOn Wed 01-Oct-08 03:17:59

I think 'renewal' is the key word here!

They usually give you a good premium initailly to get your business, then ramp it up the following year, thinking that you'll be too lazy to change insurers.

Have you had a shop around?

twentypence Wed 01-Oct-08 03:19:24

I would ring them and point this out. When I worked in insurance we had limiters on the renewals premiums to stop ridiculous inflations like this.

firsttimemama Wed 01-Oct-08 03:25:49

I will be in touch them. But I am speechless at the increse. Thanks for replies.

Helennn Wed 01-Oct-08 09:46:00

Please look at moneysavingexpert.co.uk web-site. Click on insurance tab at top and have a read. It will more than likely save you a fortune.

You may need to register for a cash-back site like Quidco, but if you do you can get up to about £120 back from the insurance company. I have saved a fortune doing my insurance this way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now