Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help, Virgin have reactived an account that I had asked them to close

(10 Posts)
curlywurlycremeegg Tue 30-Sep-08 13:04:25

Long story and I am VERY angry.

Our service from Virgin Media has been rubbish since they took over from NTL. Last month I phoned them to cancel the TV so we could move over to Sky. A few days later BT contacted them re porting our number over to them. I then got a call from someone at Virgin offering us a "good deal". It was around the kids tea time, I was trying to cook tea, do home work with DS1, had DS2 in my arms and DD was screaming for her tea. I asked him to phone back the next day so I could discuss it with DH. He didn't phone back. Yesterday I got a letter thanking us for opening a new account. I phoned today to aske them to cancel this as I hadn't said I would stay with them. The person who had initally phoned me has put down on the account that I had agreed to another 12 months at the discounted price. I disputed this, the customer service person would not let me cancel as it was outside the 7 day "cooling off period". I said that shouldn't matter as I didn't say I would take up the offer anyway. They also cancelled my order with BT on the same day the phoned me, I have just had to phone BT and spend 30 mins sorting that out. Where do I stand? I don not want to pay for another month (or could be 12 seeing as they are saying it's a new contract) with Virgin.

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 30-Sep-08 13:04:42

Forgot to add TIA

TheArmadillo Tue 30-Sep-08 13:13:03

So they won't let you cancel the account they set up without your permission?

Ask for a copy of the phone call - most companies record all calls. Tell them you want to make a formal complaint (they have to give you details of their complaints procedure) and you will be escalating this.

If they won't do anything about it contact
independant ombudsman - virgin media is a member of CISAS

They have a helpline on 020 7520 3814. OR you can email them from their homepage.

TheArmadillo Tue 30-Sep-08 13:15:28

consumer direct give advice on complaining here

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 30-Sep-08 13:16:46

Thanks, I have threatened them with OFCOM and Trading Standards but I didn't know about CISAS.

Do they keep recordings off all calls? They told me they just had notes on the call.

TheArmadillo Tue 30-Sep-08 13:21:53

I don't know if they keep all. Some companies do, some only record a percentage of calls.

Did you speak to a superviser/manager?

I would put down everything in writing and send it recorded delivery giving them a timeline to respond. And tell them what you want - I would expect compensation for the phone calls/anything else you have had to do and a full apology.

Keep a eye on your bank account and make sure you cancel any direct debits that they may set up (especially if you payed by direct debit before).

I am pretty sure they would have to send you notice within the 7 days cooling off period (so you should have got the letter earlier) setting out terms and conditions - but you may have to check on that.

Absolutely appalling - but I doubt it is the first time they have done this.

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 30-Sep-08 13:33:01

I tried to speak to a manager/supervisor this morning but they refused to put me through to anyone!

The letter arrived yesterday, on the last day of the cooling off period, however I only got chance to read it and phone them this morning. I didn't think it was going to be important as we were leaving them anyway IYKWIM.

Will put it in writting now and get it sent of recorded so they can't "loose" it.

Thanks

TheArmadillo Tue 30-Sep-08 13:36:25

make sure you put down that they refused to let you talk to a manager or superviser. And that they stated there was no recording of the call.

Terrible way to handle a complaint no matter whether they believed you to be in the wrong or not.

I'd be really pissed off - especially with all this time and effort you are putting in to sort out their mistake (I'd put that down as well).

overdraft Thu 02-Oct-08 12:00:49

Virgin companies are becoming very sly and aggressive. I hope you get it sorted.

curlywurlycremeegg Thu 02-Oct-08 15:00:42

Thanks I have had a reply to my complaint, but only to say someone has been trying to get hold of me and hasn't been able to. I have phoned them back, however they are not available now! Waiting for a call back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now