Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anybody know anything about police cautions?

(14 Posts)
HappyThoughts Tue 30-Sep-08 13:01:48

Hoping someone can help me here as I am worried my entire career might be on the line!

I am 31 and I have a good psychology degree from 10yrs ago. Now that my 2 kids are not babies anymore, I'd like to go back to do some further training and pursue a career in this field.

BUT (and it's quite a big but), when I was 18, I was (to my shame) involved in a crappy little drunken scuffle with another girl in a pub.

Neither of us had any serious injuries, but the girl ended up with a small cut on her face which required about 2 stitches I believe.

I was absolutely horrified that I had been dragged into this situation and was shamefully drunk enough at the time to have retaliated physically.

Before this day (and since), I was always a right goody 2 shoes who would never so much as look at anybody in the wrong way.

Anyway, her parents involved the police and I ended up with a caution for assault. Looking back now, I am not sure this was entirely fair but at the time I was so horrified about being spoken to by the police that I admitted I had caused the cut & just took the caution in order to get away from the police station ASAP. I didn't really understand the possible repercussions of a formal caution.

So does anybody know whether this caution will still come up in CRB checks 13 years later? And is it likely to seriously hinder my career? Clearly it's not worth me doing any clinical training if this is going to be a total show-stopper. sad

Any help at all, very much appreciated.

zippitippitoes Tue 30-Sep-08 13:04:39

here is the answer which is not absolutely clear cut

here

HappyThoughts Tue 30-Sep-08 13:11:57

Thanks zippitippitoes. Very kind of you to reply so quickly.

Having read your link though, it would seem that things do not look very good.sad

I can't believe that such a one-off stupid mistake made just a couple of months after my 18th birthday can affect my whole life so much.

Does this mean that I couldn't even be a parent helper in my children's school as that would require an enhanced CRB check I think?

I am so so blush and sad

Hassled Tue 30-Sep-08 13:15:53

It does seem very unfair. I think you'd be OK as a Parent Helper. When I had a CRB check for school it was different to the Enhanced CRB check I had when I registered as a childminder - this was a few years ago.

bookthief Tue 30-Sep-08 13:16:11

I think you need to speak to someone about this in the field you want to enter. I work in the Health Service (non-clinical role) and have had an enhanced CRB check. I don't have any skeletons, but I do know that in the guidance notes they sent us it was made very clear that having something come up on the check did not necessarily preclude you from employment as the circs would very much be taken into consideration.

It may be that this is something that you'll find yourself needing to explain to future employers, but that may not necessarily be a barrier.

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 30-Sep-08 13:17:39

My understanding is that police cautions are never 'spent' and so will show up on some (or all?) CRB checks. I think much therefore depends on what sort of job you apply for and what the employer thinks of your having a caution for something you did in a moment of silliness 13 years ago. I would doubt that it's a total show-stopper - after all, plenty of people with criminal convictions for far more serious offences go back into employment - *but must emphasise that I am not a lawyer and you need professionally-qualified advice.*

tink123 Tue 30-Sep-08 13:30:56

I got a formal written caution for not wearing a seatbelt and not changing address on driving licence in 2003. I am nurse and have had 4 enhanced disclosures since then and it has never shown up.

tink123 Tue 30-Sep-08 13:32:48

To be honest if it involved assault no matter how minor, it would probably show on enhanced CRB check, but employer can decide to ignore it

blueskythinker Tue 30-Sep-08 13:55:33

It may be worth applying to the Police Force who gave the caution at the time, to ask them to declare to you what they hold on your record. You are entitled to this information under the Data Protection Act. I was under the impression that a lot of things like this used to get weeded from records (not so now after the Soham murders). You may need to pay a small fee to do this.

jellypop Mon 06-Oct-08 09:14:46

Hi Happy Thoughts.

Sorry to post so late. I work in social services and it is true that all cautions would probably show on an Enhanced CRB.
However employers also ask you to disclose any convictions/cautions in their application forms. In my view its better to let them know of your caution and the circumstances/age you were at the time.

I have known several colleagues over the years who have cautions for minor offences and it hasn't affected their career. They were up front about their history.

Please don't let these (v understandable!) worries stop you from pursuing your career.

Best of luck

zoggs Mon 06-Oct-08 19:06:26

A WPC I know told me that cautions or convictions do not in themselves prevent individuals from pursuing a career in the police force which surprised me. As said before, it depends on the nature of the offence.

I used to interview and appoint staff in the care sector. When CRB checks were introduced retrospectively it was most surprising what turned up on the files of existing staff.

One care assistant (for elderly people) had a conviction for theft but it was 20+ years ago when her friend reported her own credit card as stolen and they went on a spending spree on it (both single mums, stuggling financially). She kept her job.

Another carer had a conviction for possession of a firearm shock but it transpired that her son had hidden it in the house and her name was on the rent book so she was deemed partly responsible. She too kept her job.

Crimes involving dshonesty, violence or abuse would probably lead to further questions but I'm sure the lenghth of time since the offence would also be considered.

mooog Fri 10-Oct-08 18:40:41

My husband works with autistic students and has to go through CRB checks every few years. He told his employer about previous convictions that were more than ten years old and as long as nothing has happened to recently it will be up to the employer. My husband definitely agrees with always tell your future employer because it will always show. Good Luck.

Add Thu 04-Dec-08 20:04:53

I think you are lucky at this point,grin because it was 13 years ago. Cautions did not appear on a CRB 13 years ago. To be honest I think it was not until about 3-4 years ago that the cautions have to be put on a CRB.
I would say go for it I graduated in 2006 and cannot go into the carrer I wanted because of my past sad. I am now working in a gym, receptionist and aquaerobics instructor. My degree is in Forensic Phychology.

I am sure yoiu will be ok.wink

zarah21 Sun 19-Nov-17 11:12:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now