Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HIPS? when you have one done, how long is it valid for?

(10 Posts)
mumonthenet Mon 29-Sep-08 10:47:03

If you see what I mean, like if you have one, and then you don't sell your house...

would you have to get another one done to sell your house a year later?

beautifuldays Sat 04-Oct-08 19:35:53

as long as the house stays on the market without a break the HIP is valid until it sells. if you take it off the market and then put it back on, you need a new HIP
hth

mumonthenet Sun 05-Oct-08 19:41:28

thanks bd.

I did a bit of googling on the subject so have some ideas now.

Tx again.

Frankensteinshughjarsssss Sun 05-Oct-08 19:42:37

We've been told by our EA that a HIPP is valid for 12 months.

lazyhen Sun 05-Oct-08 19:50:35

Well I got told by our survevor that a HIP is valid for 3 years.

I'll be watching this with interest!

awkwardquestion Sun 05-Oct-08 19:52:14

mumonthenet i think beautifuldays is right and frankenstein is right- if you keep your property actively marketed it is valid until it sells no matter how long it takes. if you take it off te market you can put it back on without a new HIP if it is within a year of the HIP's date if you put it back on after a year has elapsed you need a new HIP. we have kept our property on a v v low key marketing so we dont nee to pay for a new HIP!

Frankensteinshughjarsssss Sun 05-Oct-08 19:58:43

We have a survevor coming monday so I'll see what he says

mumonthenet Sun 05-Oct-08 20:03:14

I had a similar idea, though in some areas the searches might be considered out of date within a few months.

There doesn't seem to be any legal requirement though so I suppose each situation is different.

beautifuldays Sun 05-Oct-08 20:17:01

i've checked at work for you and apparently the law says if property off the market for more than 30 days you need a new HIP, if it is continually marketed (or off and then on again within 30 days)then HIP valid until property sells

hth

mumonthenet Sun 05-Oct-08 20:35:19

thanks bd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now