Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any solicitors out there?

(6 Posts)
MummyDoIt Fri 26-Sep-08 10:04:57

DH's employers have asked for a 'confirmation of Next of Kin attested by a solicitor' in order to transfer his company shares into my name. Before I start ringing round local firms to find one to do this for me, can anyone give me an idea of how much this is likely to cost? I don't want to agree to the first fee quoted without having some idea of what is standard. Many thanks!

newforold Fri 26-Sep-08 10:42:38

between £75 - £150 was quoted for my gran in March.

Blimey, i feel like i;m following you around the board this morning! smile

mumoverseas Fri 26-Sep-08 11:45:25

If its just a document that needs to be sworn before a Solicitor (ie witnessed by them) then it should only cost £5 and an extra £2 for any exhibits with it. Just phone around a few firms for quotes, see what they say and then make your decision.

MummyDoIt Fri 26-Sep-08 12:54:14

Hello again! £150 seems a bit steep! Not sure why they want it, to be honest. Surely as his wife I'm automatically his next of kin? Plus his will states he leaves everything to me. However, I will ring around and see if I can find someone closer to mumoverseas' £5!

mumoverseas Fri 26-Sep-08 13:40:15

Yes, you are automatically his next of kin however some companys are funny about stuff like shares and savings plans etc. for example I have various savings plans and have had to complete nomination forms in the event of my death as its not automatic that my husband would get the money straight away in the event of my death (ie it would all be dealt with under probate) and therefore I have nominated my children. I hope you will find that this is one of the many documents that a solicitor will witness for £5

annh Fri 26-Sep-08 13:52:34

I have done this kind of thing a few times and it usually cost £5, although I think I did something similar for work once and it cost £15 in central London so hopefully you are somewhere more rural!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now