Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If I am selling something on the internet via an advertising site, how can people pay for it without me giving away my name or address?

(24 Posts)
minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:27:26

I suppose cheque would be out as it'd have to come to my address?

undercovercat Thu 25-Sep-08 13:28:26

paypal? Why wouldnt you want them knowing your name or address?
Cash on collection

FAQ Thu 25-Sep-08 13:30:16

urmm UCC - wouldn't cash on collection give away the address rather wink

minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:31:24

grin faq.

Just personal reasons tbh

Fimbo Thu 25-Sep-08 13:34:48

Meet in a cafe then cash on collection. Although it sounds suspicious tbh.

minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:37:40

Does it? Nooo, I can promise its not. lol I never thought of it that way.

Fimbo Thu 25-Sep-08 13:38:47

Well think about it, if the boot was on the other foot, would you buy??

minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:39:22

Can you get a kind of post box with royal mail? Where people can send cheques and you pick it up there?

minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:47:55

Ok, Im selling something on the internet THAT IS LEGAL AND NOT SUSPICIOUS and I would be sending this thing to them! I just dont want people knowing my name!

Fimbo Thu 25-Sep-08 13:50:31

Well can't see anyway round it tbh.

Apart from cafe, cash on collection and false name. But I wouldn't buy anything in this manner.

Surely you can see how it looks?

minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:52:56

You dont understand what I mean, its nothing dodgy at all. People know what theyre buying. Ok, thanks anyway.

Fimbo Thu 25-Sep-08 13:55:13

I do understand what you mean. You don't want some random nutter stranger from the net knowing your name and address.

I would not buy something from someone who was reluctant to give their name. That alone would make me wary.

undercovercat Thu 25-Sep-08 14:55:10

Oh yes, I was thinking more cash on collection from cark park pre arranged time.
Boot sale...

PortAndLemon Thu 25-Sep-08 15:00:20

I understand that it's NOT dodgy, but from the point of view of a buyer it would SEEM dodgy. Someone's selling me something, they want money up front for it, but I can't know who they are or where they are to get hold of them if there's a problem? I'd walk away and buy something else.

You could get a post box for them to send cheques to, yes.

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 15:02:26

hmm I wouldn't buy if I wasn't given a name and address

minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 15:11:54

OMG, im not stuuupid, I dont expect people to buy something like a cd player, if they cant get hold of me. Thats not what im thinking at aaall.
You're thinking eBay type selling. Nooo. think outside the box.

eclectech Thu 25-Sep-08 15:13:59

A PO box from the royal mail wouldn't really serve the purpose. If anyone asks them for the real name and address of the owner they'll hand it out no questions asked; it's not designed for anonymity.

Someone can pay you with PayPal without knowing your postal address (they just need an email address), and presumably you're sending something out so it's you that need their address rather than vice versa?

PortAndLemon Thu 25-Sep-08 15:20:54

So is this virtual stuff rather than real stuff you send out in a box? Paypal, then, I think.

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 15:45:48

Oh fgs what are you sellng?

minime1 Thu 25-Sep-08 16:00:31

Do they need your name with paypal.
Im not telling blush Im embarrassed blush

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 16:01:55

It can't be that bad, spill! Can it? Ah go on you are among friends on MN

Is it erotic writing?

Fimbo Thu 25-Sep-08 16:03:53

Oh come on you must tell us.

PortAndLemon Thu 25-Sep-08 16:05:34

I don't think they need your name if you have a Paypal business account -- just your email and whatever you set up the Paypal account as.

MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 17:22:00

Oi. Come on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now