Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you claim Incapacity benefit if you have not long failed the medical?

(4 Posts)
lambbanana Tue 23-Sep-08 16:09:40

Have claimed Incapacity/Jsa since ds 3 born, suffered badly with postnal depression and depression since. Failed medical in June 08 and tried to claim JSA, due to too many days not allowed (186 days, whatever that means).

Sick with new thing now and likely to be out of action for 6 months or so. Can I claim capacity beneift again with new illness.
Any advice?

lambbanana Tue 23-Sep-08 18:16:47


fiodyl Tue 23-Sep-08 20:10:32

Yes you can claim again within 6 months for a different illness.

Re: the 186 days this is for the contribution based type of JSA which only lasts 6 months, but as you have had 6 months of Incapacity you cannot get both.

I'm guessing as you don't mention getting the income based type of JSA that your DH/DP is working, so have you applied for tax credits and informed them of your current circumstances. Also have you made a claim for housing and council tax benefit.

lambbanana Tue 23-Sep-08 21:26:36

thanks fiodyl,
couldnt get income based as dh self employed.
get tax credits, am going to claim and see what happens.
worked for 20 years and only had last claim so feel I am entitled to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now