Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

In 12 months our halifax fixed rate is up- can anyone tell me what will happen ?

(9 Posts)
fakeblonde Tue 23-Sep-08 11:00:34

Cheers

AMumInScotland Tue 23-Sep-08 11:04:56

I think they will invoite you to come in and talk about what other products they have, and which would suit you. They may not have a fixed rate any more, but they might have one that tracks the base rate.

Cappuccino Tue 23-Sep-08 11:06:41

you will just go onto variable until you make a decision

you can see an independent financial advisor to see what the best deal is

nervousal Tue 23-Sep-08 11:13:19

12 months?? I don't think anyone will be able to tell you what will happen in 12 weeks never mind 12 months. I wouldn't worry about it just now - but a couple of months before it ends you will want to speak to Halifax about what they can offer and then go to other lenders to compare.

DaisySteiner Tue 23-Sep-08 11:16:49

My bet is that Bank of England rates will be lower than they are now, but the inter-bank lending rate, which is what banks base their interest rates on, may well be higher. But it's just too early to tell. I'd start looking into it in about 6-9 months and it's worth speaking to a broker (such as London and Country) as well as looking into it yourself - some of the better rates aren't available through brokers.

DarrellRivers Tue 23-Sep-08 11:20:59

And you can sign up to good rates in other banks several months before hand so that you don't need to go onto the SVR.
First Direct for instance
Be prepared, but god knows what's going to happen to the rates

winemakesmummyclever Tue 23-Sep-08 11:29:55

No chance of predicting what rates will be in 12 months. Agree that you need to start looking into your options a good few months before your fixed rate period is up. Otherwise you might find yourself just shunted onto a variable rate and struggling for a couple of months while you sort a new deal out. Mark a date in your calendar to remind you.

fakeblonde Tue 23-Sep-08 12:00:28

Thanks everyone.

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 23-Sep-08 12:02:00

Be aware that fees for new deals are much higher than they were. We remaorgaged in April and had to pay abou £400 - I think the cheapest deal is now about £600, but if you want a good rate, many fees are in the £1500 region. We went to an IFA who was pretty helpful, but the first deal we went for was withdrawn from the market before we'd signed up. The one we got took about a month longer than predicted to set up, so we had to go onto SVR for a month which cost us about £100 extra in interest.

Agree with others though. What is happening now is no indication of how things could be in 12 months time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now