Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Would mumsnet posting be admissible in court as evidence?

(11 Posts)
Bumperlicious Sat 20-Sep-08 08:13:19

Just asking a (mostly) hypothetical question.
Say you were going to court for some reason, could the opposition search mumsnet and use posts that they thought belonged to you against you?

beeny Sat 20-Sep-08 08:14:53

Might be able to if they could prove identity

OMG! What a horrible thought. I hope not, it's like people being able to cite your thoughts in court.

susiecutiebananas Sat 20-Sep-08 08:22:43

I would think not tbh. However, I don't actually know. PErhaps I'm more horrified at the thought than anything....

I'm sure a proper legal brain will actually know and will be getting up and on soon! grin

revjustabout Sat 20-Sep-08 08:23:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beeny Sat 20-Sep-08 08:30:15

I am a lawyer.If someone wrote malicious things about an ex spouse and said they would make it difficult for him to see kids it would prob be allowed.If could prove id.

jimmyjammys Mon 22-Sep-08 20:46:41

if you came on here and said malicious and untrue things about a person or a company then it could be used in an action for libel against you - but not sure how they would prove your ID - mumsnet would have to release that info I guess? Good reason not to post too many details about yourself or post personal pictures!

morningpaper Mon 22-Sep-08 20:53:00

<cough>

wannaBe Mon 22-Sep-08 20:55:02

yes.

Iirc there was a case recently where someone used the logs from an internet chatroom to sue someone for lible.

What you put on mn is like writing something down, and all your h would have to do would be to get a court order to have the posts released, and mn would have to release them.

Even if the posts had been deleted but your ex had seen them he could get a court order to have them made available (deleted from the thread doesn't mean deleted completely).

pippo Mon 22-Sep-08 20:59:07

I have wondered if mumsnet had one of those little counter things that appear on other forums showing how many members/guests etc are on line, if people would post as freely as they seem to

Dumbass Tue 23-Sep-08 21:17:11

grin mp!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now