Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Silly question probably....but can you pay anyone you like to be your cleaner?

(5 Posts)
Clockface Sat 20-Sep-08 08:05:21

I am looking for someone to do few hours' cleaning in our house a week, probably not amounting to more athn £30 at the most in pay.

I know that you need to be a registered childminder to be paid for childcare, but are there any rules about house-cleaning?

And if I were paying a cleaner, even a smallish amount, would I be considered an "employer" and have to do loads of legal gubbins?

TIA!

mummyhill Sat 20-Sep-08 10:17:48

You can employ any one to clean for you. Most cleaners are self employed or work through an agency so the whole tax/ni thig is the responsibility of the cleaner or the agency. Hope this helps you.

Clockface Sun 21-Sep-08 09:16:32

Okay thank you Mummyhill! smile

Ripeberry Sun 21-Sep-08 09:26:48

Most people just put an advert in their local shop and you just suss the person out and be there when they clean your house.
I just wouldn't like the thought of someone being in my house eying up my things whilst i was not there grin.

Clockface Sun 21-Sep-08 13:42:47

Neither woud I, Ripeberry. I belong to a local church and my thought was to put an ad in the parish newsletter - at least, that way it is someone known within the community even if I don't know them that well personally. And my other thought is that I'll have them come at a time when I am here, so that I can do my chores (sorting out laundry, admin etc etc) at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now