Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone moved out of a house after renewing their tenancy or before their tenancy ends? Think I'm stuck.

(6 Posts)
Pawslikepaddington Fri 19-Sep-08 21:31:33

I'm flat broke, and have been given the chance of much cheaper accommodation (40% less a month). My lease on this place runs out on Monday, but was told that I couldn't have the cheap accomm until 2009 so signed a new 12 month lease as we would have nowhere else to live, and we were told to sign or move out, and it is average for normal rental prices around here so would be the cheapest we would find anywhere. Now the cheap accomm has come up and will have to borrow an awful lot of money if we stay in the house we are in for another year, but I can live in the other place without going beyond my means. We signed a 12 month tenancy last year but it only ran for 11 months-does that mean we really have until 22nd October (the date we moved in) to give notice? I'm so confused and scared that I will be paying rent on two properties for a year and defeating the object sad

KatieDD Sat 20-Sep-08 23:35:11

Just contact the landlord and explain the situation, you can't pay to lots of rent so they will have to accept a months notice.
See what they say, they might be delighted as they want to sell it/move in themselves/relet it at twice the price, you never know.

Pawslikepaddington Sun 21-Sep-08 09:54:20

I must admit, I had a look on their website and all the rents have gone up to £1250, and we are paying £890. Also, if they let it to three sharers as opposed to one mummy avec family they can charge them £400 per room, ie. £1200. Also a good time as all the students are flooding into the city without accommodation, so will want somewhere asap.

KatieDD Sun 21-Sep-08 10:21:09

Well there you go, you'd be doing them a favour, just ring them and explain.

PestoMonster Sun 21-Sep-08 10:26:30

You might find your current landlord will accept your notice, but you may still be liable for loss of rental income/new tenancy agreement costs etc, until he has found a suitable replacement tenant. Check your lease for more specific details.

Pawslikepaddington Sun 21-Sep-08 11:09:41

The landlord isn't allowed to delay finding a new tenant though is he? The shelter website says you can give 40 days notice. They are very nice landlords and not the type to rip people off at all, but you still worry until you know everything is ok don't you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now