Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Non-arrival of goods ordered on internet

(23 Posts)
franch Fri 25-Feb-05 14:03:29

I ordered £30 worth of vitamins from a company called nutriglow.com back in January and they still haven't arrived. Contacted them after a couple of weeks and they said they'd been sent immediately by first-class post and that I should contact the PO. I did so - the PO were no help at all so I got back to nutriglow and they said they'd re-send on 17 Feb.

Contacted them again the other day and they just said 'Well, we've sent them twice - neither parcel has been returned - contact the PO.' I haven't received a card from the postman about an attempted delivery, and anyway I've been at home constantly since 17 Feb (24h 'morning' sickness) so would know if they'd rung the bell. I've told them this and they've now gone silent.

My inclination now is just to ask for a refund, but where do I stand if they refuse? I'm stuck having paid them £30, with no proof whatsoever that they've actually posted the goods to me. I'd like to know my legal position before I email again - are there any good websites I should look at?

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:45:56

anyone?

SenoraPostrophe Mon 28-Feb-05 20:49:01

Royal Mail may not be what it used to be, but it isn't that bad (I don't think).

First, I would contact them again and check the address they sent the packages to. If it is correct i would call trading standards.

kid Mon 28-Feb-05 20:50:27

I had a problem recently with an order I had placed over the internet. The company were ignoring my emails and they never answered the phone. On my 4th email to them, I let them know that if Ihadn't heard from them by the end of the day, I would be contacting my bank about the money they had taken and also trading standards. They phoned me within 10 minutes.
Give them a deadline and suggest they send it to you again, this time by recorded delivery! Good luck

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:51:36

Thanks SP. I gave them my address again when I contacted them the first time, and it's correct on the email receipt. I'm really fuming about this now as it's been over a month.

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:52:17

Thanks kid, that sounds like good advice. I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow and kick ass!

cheryl1707 Mon 28-Feb-05 20:54:41

Hi

If you bought items through provider eg ebay contact them as the seller is still liable for these goods.

You should ask for a refund, what gives these people the right to take your money and give you nothing in return

Keep it posted with the outcome

moschops Mon 28-Feb-05 20:55:42

how did you pay? if it was by credit card then phone your cc company and ask their advice.

as far as the Post Office are concerned you need to make an official complaint but unless the company also do this i'm not sure what the post office will do.

did they charge you postage too?

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:55:49

Thanks cheryl - not ebay, it's a business site called nutriglow - will definitely get serious with them tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:56:57

moschops - yes, cc - hadn't thought of contacting them - that's another useful idea.

They don't charge postage over £20, which is why I spent £30 with them

SenoraPostrophe Mon 28-Feb-05 20:57:10

Actually yes - if you paid by credit card, you can do a "chargeback" - just phone the bank. They do lots of investigation for you, but when we were sold dodgy goods in the past I got my money back that way. TBH I'd just go straight to the bank without giving the company an ultimatum. It's not your responsibility to chase it up at the PO - it's theirs.

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:58:57

Thanks all for helping me get tough!

cheryl1707 Mon 28-Feb-05 21:04:20

keep us posted franch

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 21:08:51

OK, just fired off the following email:

"I have not received a reply to the message below and, more than a month on, I have still received nothing from you.

Please either post the goods by recorded delivery or provide an immediate refund.

If I have not heard back from you by the end of the day (Tuesday), I will be contacting Trading Standards and asking my credit card company to retrieve the funds from you."

Will update!

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 21:38:23

Well! You were right - I got an email reply within 20 mins - at this time of night!! They said they received 'the package' (the 1st or the 2nd one they sent out, I wonder?) back from the PO today, marked 'not called for', and asked if I wanted a refund or for them to resend the parcel. I said resend, but that as I'd never received a card from the PO saying they'd attempted delivery of either parcel, I strongly recommended recorded delivery.

If it doesn't arrive this time I'll just get a refund. What a faff. I ordered these bloody vitamins because someone said they were good for morning sickness - I'm in the 2nd trimester now and it's starting to ease off!

kid Mon 28-Feb-05 21:52:19

Fingers crossed you receive them now!
Glad you got tough and put them in their place!

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 22:11:23

Ooh, I'd better receive them .... or else!! Thanks again

cheryl1707 Tue 01-Mar-05 19:14:28

Franch

\You go girl, that soon got them moving, maybe you will have them in time for the next pregnancy

franch Tue 01-Mar-05 19:17:54

no more pregnancies for me cheryl! Remind me I said that next time DH gets that look in his eye

cheryl1707 Tue 01-Mar-05 22:03:41

lol

franch Wed 02-Mar-05 13:38:34

HOORAY! The parcel finally arrived this morning! You guys know how to get RESULTS!!!

Thanks everyone

kid Wed 02-Mar-05 18:21:15

fantastic news franch, glad they got their act together!

cheryl1707 Wed 02-Mar-05 21:18:52

Well done girl

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: