Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I have just joined a credit Union. why aren't these advertised more? they are brilliant.

(24 Posts)
HRHMamazon Thu 18-Sep-08 22:10:40

titale says it all really.
Just joined our local Credit union and i cannot believe i have never heard of them before. Its such a more ethical and sensible way of small scale saving.

Obviously if your earning a wedge and have investments then this si of no use at all but for me - a single mum who finds saving impossible at the moment due to being on such a tight budget - this is going to be a godsend.

I really am very impressed. if anyone has had any bad experiences then please tell me before i syart paying in money.

dorathesnorer Mon 22-Sep-08 14:03:58

You are right - credit unions are fab (I volunteer at one!0 grin

DanJARMouse Mon 22-Sep-08 14:05:32

whats a credit union???

SpandexIsMyEnemy Mon 22-Sep-08 14:09:51

same as djarm - what is it?

Dropdeadfred Mon 22-Sep-08 14:17:08

what is one? i have heard the term...but why is it better than a post office savings account?

dorathesnorer Mon 22-Sep-08 14:34:43

A credit union is a savings/loans co-operative run by volunteers and completely regulated by the fsa. Profits are shared between members each year and they're a great way of getting low interest loans, you can join regardless of credit history,ccj's etc as long as you save regularly however small the amount you can take out small loans (double your savings in first year of membership).

smile

DanJARMouse Mon 22-Sep-08 18:51:42

interesting.

have looked into our local one. Not sure if DH would be keen, but im guessing you can save as little as £5 a week?!

I have absolutely no savings, so would need to start somewhere.

Only one question though - can you take the money out whenever you want???

TheOldestCat Mon 22-Sep-08 18:59:20

DanJARMouse - think it depends on the union and the terms of their saving accounts. More here

BreevandercampLGJ Mon 22-Sep-08 19:09:40

As you seem to be the one who runs the household finances WTF, does it have to do with your DH ?

You are not joining a drugs cartel.

HRHMamazon Mon 22-Sep-08 22:31:09

Our local one you can save as little as you like. its totally up to you.
We are able to take our savings out whenever we want but they do ask you to give them as much notice as you can as they dont like to leave cash or cheque books on the premises.

If you have a local one you should defininitly go and have a chat with one of the people that organise it. i think they are fantastic, especially for those on a limited income.

dorathesnorer Tue 23-Sep-08 07:18:50

I have once put 50p a week when really really skint blush it's just to show that you can save regularly. At ours you can take out less than £100 on the day IF they have the money on the premises which we sometimes don't. Over £100 you need to give a weeks notice.

watsthestory Tue 23-Sep-08 07:20:40

Message withdrawn

ssd Tue 23-Sep-08 07:31:04

I'm in one, have been for a few years

can anyone tell me how much of a loan you can get? i save £5 a week, have about £350 in it now

lulumama Tue 23-Sep-08 07:33:36

how do you find out about them if not advertised?

ssd Tue 23-Sep-08 07:36:45

go on your council website

watsthestory Tue 23-Sep-08 07:43:54

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Tue 23-Sep-08 07:44:44

Message withdrawn

SpookyMadMummy Tue 23-Sep-08 08:00:50

Some workplaces have credit unions attached - its worth asking if there is a regular union office (e.g. TGWU) at your place of work. They will often know.
Dh became a member of his credit union when working for the local bus company 7 years ago. We still use it regularly now.

lulumama Tue 23-Sep-08 08:46:42

thank you ±!

LadyMuck Tue 23-Sep-08 08:51:29

I think that the thing I found odd about them is that when my local one was set up they couldn't give me a clue as to what the likely interest rate would be on savings.

Buda Tue 23-Sep-08 08:56:14

They are very popular in Ireland. My Dad has been in the RTE one for years - even now he is retired he pays all his bills through their 'budget account' - you estimate your gas and electricity for the year, divide it up and pay in that amount every week or fortnight or month or whatever. Dad always upped the estimate and left the extra in for lean times. My sisters all saved in credit unions at one time or another.

ssd Tue 23-Sep-08 09:24:46

thanks wats!

DanJARMouse Wed 24-Sep-08 10:12:03

Bit harsh LGJ. Me and DH both control the finances. We have 2 joint accounts we both have access to.

Not sure if DH would be keen because at the moment we are struggling to keep ourselves in the black.... so would need to be discussed. Not just going to set something up without his input and agreement.

Thanks to everyone else for their info.

HRHMamazon Wed 24-Sep-08 17:50:31

I dont think you earn interest on your savings as such. teh way it was explained to me is that when teh interest comes in at the end of the year it is divided equally between all the members.

If you have saed £350 yur first loan can be of £700. you can continue to pay in £5 a week. £4 will go towards paying your loan back and the £1 will add to your savngs.
Your savings are never taken away unless you ask to take them out.

Its a fantastic idea and if you join now you will be just about able to get a loan in time for Christmas i think.
Jarm you should definitly contact your local CU. they are particularly good for people who are struggling. you no doubt spend a couple of pounds each week on something that you could live without...spend that money on saving and soon enough you have a fair bit put away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now