Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Dh friend home being repossed, any advice????

(10 Posts)
littleducks Thu 18-Sep-08 19:36:54

Dhs friend (British national), wife (foreign) eldest dd age 3 (foreigh) and baby (british national) have been kicked out of their home, i dont know the full story as he was unemployed and there was money owed on mortgage and other loans i believe. But the council wont rehouse them or offer advice?

I understand as half the family are not british citizens (his wife had 'not entitled to social funds' or similar printed on her passport that the wont be entitled to emergency housing. But if the find a private rent will housing benefit pay for a property for friend and the baby that will be large enough for landlord to agree they arent overcrowding etc.

Will obviously recommend shelter. Does anyone know if the phone line is 24 hr?

limecrush Thu 18-Sep-08 19:44:05

omg bumping, what a nightmare. Afraid I know nothing about housing policy but someone must do.

I think shelter do have an emergency 24h numbers

flowerybeanbag Thu 18-Sep-08 19:45:51

Looks like Shelter helpline is 8am - 8pm only...

littleducks Thu 18-Sep-08 19:50:12

Thanks i feel so awful for them, we have taken some furniture etc. and said at worst they can stay here but it does feel sad.

Unfortunately i think the banks are getting strict now and they wont be the only ones in trouble.

LadyMuck Thu 18-Sep-08 20:00:13

It will depend in part on the immigration status of the wife including what type of visa she has, and in particular if it is still in date. If she is an overstayer then the situation is very difficult and I doubt that Shelter will be able to help.

lou031205 Thu 18-Sep-08 20:01:45

He should get LHA for a 2 bed house - 1 for him, 1 for baby. That is the same entitlement as a couple with 2 children under 10. smile

LadyMuck Thu 18-Sep-08 20:07:17

Sorry didn't mean to sound so negative. Shelter or the CAB may be able to find him an approved immigration adviser.

Do you know how far along the eviction process he is?

lou031205 Thu 18-Sep-08 20:11:44


"Person with no recourse to public funds

If a person from abroad whose leave to enter the UK is subject to a restriction on claiming public funds:

The person subject to the public funds restrict ion cannot be the claimant for LHA
The person subject to the public funds restriction is counted as a member of the household when working out how many bedrooms are allowed under the size criteria"

So, your friend can place the claim, but his wife & child DO count for LHA purposes. He can see what they might be entitled to for housing costs here:

the lha calculator

If he uses that figure as his rent, he can work out their likely help using his income here:

littleducks Thu 18-Sep-08 20:26:03

the locks have been changed and they left

from what i have read this was not what they should have done, but i cant really say that to him

she is an not an overstayer, she came last year (when he was working and all was rosy)

they seem to have got into major issues when he lost his job and was supporting 3 people on jsa for 1

littleducks Fri 19-Sep-08 12:07:37


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: