Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I transfer money to a NZ bank account?

(7 Posts)
beansmum Thu 18-Sep-08 18:47:43

I need to pay the deposit, letting fee and rent on a flat in NZ. I have the details of the the account it needs to be paid into but don't really know what to do next! Is it pretty simple? Will my bank be able to do it without too much trouble or is there another way of doing it?

Nippersmum Thu 18-Sep-08 20:55:07

As far as I can remember you can do it at your bank, but beware it does cost to do it this way, but it was pretty easy when I last did it, but that was a year or so.
hth

mumoverseas Fri 19-Sep-08 06:48:20

I've never transferred money to NZ but regularly wire (transfer) money to the USA and it is relatively easy. I do it via HSBC but I'm sure most banks will do it. what you need is full details of your NZ bank to include a swift code/routing number (may be called something different in NZ though) Best bet to check with your bank and they will tell you exactly what you need. Via HSBC to USA it usually takes 2 to 3 working days to arrive and the bank charge £21 in the UK to send it and the receiving bank in the UK charges $15 to receive it. There can sometimes be cheaper options but it depends on the amount of money and your own bank.

beansmum Fri 19-Sep-08 10:02:17

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the bank was the way to do it or if there was some fancy transfer system that I didn't know about. I'll sort it out later today.

mumoverseas Fri 19-Sep-08 10:07:58

if you find out another fancy way to do it please let me know! Over the years i've spent hundreds of pounds on wiring fees!

krugerparkrules Fri 19-Sep-08 10:22:23

you can try through first contact - they send money to australia, nz, poland, south africa etc. you pay £10 per transfer, and you can do it online (you have to sign up with them first) - i do it with them and have no problems.

twentypence Fri 19-Sep-08 10:29:18

My mum has a good way - it may depend which UK bank you are with though. She is asleep at the moment I will ask her in our NZ morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now