Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Would anyone like to share ideas for where money should be placed these days? Short term investment ideas, with the obvious understanding that none of it has guaranteed high return.

(10 Posts)
CoteDAzur Thu 18-Sep-08 17:19:54

I used to be an investment professional. Surely there are others on MN. Would anyone be interested in pooling our insight and sharing investment ideas as well as identified risks?

LadyMuck Thu 18-Sep-08 17:34:54

Wish I had a clue. I'm offsetting against mortgage and also have money in Blackrock Absolute Alpha (which at least sold its Lehmans holding in time). I have various stuff in ISA wrappers, but am struggling to know what to do with it at present (and I suspect that I'm looking at it way to late anyway).

Tbh I think that I'd want to see the back of the rescues etc over the next couple of weeks before moving anything.

CoteDAzur Thu 18-Sep-08 17:53:30

What I see with most certainty now is:
- there is great uncertainty & fear
- there is increasing liquidity, as central banks try to keep failing banks and credit markets afloat

In both situations, there are two things that go up:
- Swiss Franc (CHF)
and
- Gold

Gold has already gone up a bit so I sold some USD/CHF today. It is going well so far but I think the pair has a lot more to fall.

CoteDAzur Thu 18-Sep-08 18:23:53

17:12
FSA bans short selling of financial companies; FSA ban on financial short selling from 2300 GMT Thurs - DJ

LadyMuck Thu 18-Sep-08 18:27:53

But FSA would only regulate trade on LSE wouldn't they?

CoteDAzur Thu 18-Sep-08 19:02:18

Yes.

I also got a notice from one of the banks I trade with, saying the following:

"The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has banned naked short-selling of US stocks from the start of business today, 18 September 2008."

mrswotzisnotin Fri 19-Sep-08 09:43:41

Why did they wait to do anything about short selling, if they coul see wat was happenig, I don't understand it.

At least Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs and other financial firms whose stocks have been battered this week have a chance to escape the same fate as Lehmanns.

<goes back to reading Hello magazine and Heat>

JJ Fri 19-Sep-08 09:59:26

It looks like the SEC might stop short selling in the US for a while too.

JJ Fri 19-Sep-08 11:10:38

They have on 799 companies.

Charlene1 Sun 28-Sep-08 14:35:32

We invested in National Savings Bonds a few years ago from the post office - it was a high rate if you keep it for 10 years (we didn't unfortunately!!) Don't think you would lose your initial money on it as it is a fixed rate. We also have the 10% saver thing from Halifax for the kids, which transfers every year to a instant access account - that pays a good rate as well I think. There is an adult version, although due to recent events, they may have stopped that!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now