Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can any of you EQUINE Mumsnetters recommend a riders only insurance policy please?

(19 Posts)
PestoMonster Tue 16-Sep-08 20:40:59

I have recently resumed my hobby of riding and the dds have started too, which is fine whilst we ride at local stables.

However, there is a possibility that we may have the use of a pony one day a week, shortly and I would like to ensure we are covered for any liabilty relating to possible horse-related incidents. We don't need insurance cover for the horse itself.

Have any of you got this type of Riders Only insurance policy, and if so, who have you got it with, and would you recommend it?

Thank you in advance smile

mumonthenet Tue 16-Sep-08 22:26:02

don't know pesto as am not in UK but bumping for you. There are lots riders around mn.

my dd is a member of our national Equestrian Federation so she is insured through that.

PestoMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 09:10:57

Thank you mumonthenet.

Any of you morning crowd horsey?

Or are you all off doing stable duties....? grin

Beetroot Wed 17-Sep-08 09:25:21

oh how funny - I need this to.

bhs are meant ot be good but not sure as have not asked yet

PestoMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 09:26:55

I'm thinking you mean the British Horse Society as opposed to the department store wink grin

PestoMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 09:29:18

Where are they all?

<<peers across the fields>>

Horsin' around, I s'pose......

Beetroot Wed 17-Sep-08 09:30:09

Yes I think so.

PestoMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 11:03:51

Yoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!

<<waves to horsey peeps>>

Anyone back yet?

PestoMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 12:31:40

Donk Wed 17-Sep-08 13:11:41

Join the British Horse Society - the Gold membership category gives 3rd person liability and personal accident insurance.
here

I don't know about 'just' getting an insurance policy - be better contacting a broker.

PestoMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 13:57:24

<<Gulps>>
shock pricey!!

Donk Wed 17-Sep-08 14:10:57

Well, yes - but then 3rd party liability insurance for beasties with minds of their own ain't cheap!

Donk Wed 17-Sep-08 14:12:05

Pony Club insures members too.
I think that Riding Clubs (affiliated to BHS) also do - but not much cheaper.

Donk Wed 17-Sep-08 14:17:31

Have just checked - the Riding Club insurance only covers you during riding club events...
The upgrade to 24hr insurance cover is joining the BHS...
Pony Club (for those young enough)is as expensive as the BHS, so I suppose that's the going cost - unless an insurance broker can find anything better.

Donk Wed 17-Sep-08 14:29:27

Petplan do a rider only policy - but the quote I just had did not include personal accident insurance AND was more expensive than going through the BHS

Donk Wed 17-Sep-08 14:31:10

Actually on closer inspection blush Petplan rider only does include personal accident - but is £8 more expensive than the BHS for the quote I was given.

PestoMonster Wed 17-Sep-08 14:31:13

Thanks Donk. At the moment it's just a possibility of us having the use of a pony one day a week. Basically me helping out a friend who can't manage to look after it that day. I think what I'll do is check whether she has insurance first, because the insurance lady I just spoke to says that I should be covered under her policy if she's given us permisssion to ride/look after it.

MABS Thu 18-Sep-08 18:02:23

will ask my sis, she has 3 nags

PestoMonster Thu 18-Sep-08 21:38:28

Thanks Mabs!
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now