Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Panacking slightly with aftermath of car accident

(10 Posts)
travellingwilbury Tue 16-Sep-08 15:31:41

I had an accidet at the end of July
Basically I pulled out of a junction and a motorbike which was on my side of the road crashed into me . Frontal damage only on my car and it is now written off .
He is now saying that I pulled out in front of him and its all my fault angry

There were no witnesses to the accident but there are two other bikers who saw him driving like a loon (their words) just before the accident .

The claim is now going into dispute which means I won't get anything for my car but I will have to buy a new car as the hire car will have to go back very soon .

Not only was it the scariest bit of driving ever and I am now a bit of a nervous wreck while out and about I am worried I am going to get hung drawn and quartered by insurance for something that was def not my fault .

Any advice / views ?

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Sep-08 15:34:24

Was it reported to the police? Do you have written statements from the witnesses?
Sorry you're a nervous wreck - I can understand as have been jittery ever since a fairly minor bump

travellingwilbury Tue 16-Sep-08 15:40:00

The police came to the scene .
To be fair the guy on the bike probably had a worse day than me he broke his collar bone and wrist but he was driving like a loon .
They have got statements from the guys on the bikes but it just feels like it is going to drag on for ages and I am left feeling like a criminal for getting about my day .

I have only ever had one accident when someone crashed into the back of me when I was stationary (right sp or am I saying I am a paper product ? ) He got out the car said sorry and all was sorted very quickly .
I stupidly thought this would be similar but obviously not .

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Sep-08 15:50:24

Sorry no experience, hope it all does work out. TBH it sounds as though it will work in your favour, but will take time, which I appreciate is what's annoying you!
My accident was someone going into the back of me, yes, usually I'd have been ranting and cursing but that would have been all. As it was DS was in the back and 5 weeks old The impact made him throw up. I have never been so scared!
Yes, a pARked cAR is stationARy - that's how I remember it!

travellingwilbury Tue 16-Sep-08 15:54:30

Thanks

I just hope my confidence comes back soon .
I used to love driving but now I see loons wherever I go

Are you still jittery ? That must have been so scary with the dc in the car .

bellavita Tue 16-Sep-08 16:01:23

did the police not do the markings on the ground etc? this usually confirms who was at fault.

StealthPolarBear Tue 16-Sep-08 16:04:29

i know exactly what you mean . tailgaters used to just annoy me but now i can't relax until they turn off.i think the confidence thing will just take time

SaintGeorge Tue 16-Sep-08 16:05:49

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Confused about the insurance issue though. Are you fully comp? If so, surely they should pay out for your damage regardless of dispute.

It might change the price when you come to renew but the claim should be paid.

travellingwilbury Tue 16-Sep-08 16:32:44

I am stupidly only third party and although I know they will probably pay up in the end , they won't pay anything until the case is completed .

The police didn't do any markings and also one of the kindly people that stopped to help moved my car so it was on the verge out of the way of traffic (I was naive and didn't think about that being a problem at the time )

I will only do fully comp from now on though for sure .

bellavita Tue 16-Sep-08 16:57:50

sad for you travellingwilbury

but at least you are ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now