Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

old aupair wants to move back as paying guest/lodger - how much to charge?

(12 Posts)
tonton Tue 16-Sep-08 15:25:36

We love her dearly - she was our best ever. She is between homes and just needs somewhere affordable to stay for a few months.

How much should I charge?
We live in London, zone 3, she'd have her own nice double room and share a bathroom.

She'd probably babysit one night a week and help out a bit when she could - although she's pretty busy.

£50 a week? £100? I really have no idea what would be fair.

If I should have posted this elsewhere do tell me! grin

iheartdusty Tue 16-Sep-08 15:34:14

do you need to get a proper rent for the room, or is it purely a favour to her and the room would be empty otherwise?

Dropdeadfred Tue 16-Sep-08 15:37:02

what income does she have? are you supplying food?

BetsyBoop Tue 16-Sep-08 15:51:21

under the rent a room scheme you can charge up to £4250 a year - after that it becomes taxable, so that might influence your decision grin

CostaRicanCod Tue 16-Sep-08 15:53:08

lucky you
lucky her

TheArmadillo Tue 16-Sep-08 15:55:14

are you including all bills in that? (e.g. gas, electric, water, council tax, phone, tv package, internet etc) Or would hse have to pay any seperate?

What about food?

I would personally, if only for a few months, include all bills excepting food/wash powder etc and charge around £75.

However if she can't afford that and you are quite prepared to charge that I would go down to about £40 - £50.

BigGitDad Tue 16-Sep-08 16:01:57

Doea she want a room in South East London after you??grin
I'd trade a baby sitter for rent.

LadyMuck Tue 16-Sep-08 16:02:14

I'm a bit further out and I charge £50pw incl bills, excl food on mates rates, but goign rate would be arounf £450 per month.

BigGitDad Tue 16-Sep-08 16:06:46

Given the relationship you already have and whether she can help out baby sitting I would look at the lower end (£300 month?). That would more than cover your costs unless you want to make a profit out of her?

tonton Tue 16-Sep-08 16:12:05

We would definitely include all bills and whatever food she wants. She's pretty social and out and about a lot but I hope she'd have some meals with us.

Maybe £75?

But of course if she can't afford that we'd go lower.

tonton Tue 16-Sep-08 16:14:07

I is mainly a favour to her although we'd need to cover costs - dh is out of work at the moment!

TheArmadillo Tue 16-Sep-08 16:22:45

suggest £75 then with room to go lower (make sure you have a bottom limit though).

i would also agree on a date (maybe in 3 months time) to reasses the situation if she is still with you then.

What about breakfast/lunch food when I presume she won't be eating with you - will you provide that as well? I would also consider things like wash powder etc would she be using yours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now