Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car insurence claims - advice please.

(9 Posts)
Charlee Tue 16-Sep-08 13:00:31

Just want to know if anyone has had a claim made on thier insurence and how thier polocy went up after loosing no claims bonuses?

Basic story is.

I was at a junction at the weeken behind a learner, she pulled out quite quickly then she stopped suddenly, i braked but still hit her, mild damage done to both cars, i know it was my fault and am excepting that a claim will be made on my insurence to fix driving instructors car.

The girl driving (learner) has now actually made a second claim for 'personal losses' which im not sure what that means, no one was at all hurt.

Just worried now that after all is said and done i wont be able to afford to insure my car which in invaluable to me for copius hospital visits for ds.

Charlee Tue 16-Sep-08 16:36:16

bump

Great now 2 lots of insurence excess to pay as well.

AMumInScotland Tue 16-Sep-08 16:37:42

I've just been in the opposite position of being hit by another car - as well as the costs for fixing the car, which all goes through the insurance company, I am also claiming back my excess and the cost of a hire car to cover me while it was in being fixed. Those might be the kind of thing she is claiming for.

On my insurance policy, I would be allowed two claims against me in a year (where I was at fault, or it was a 50/50 kind of thing) without it changing my premiums. But I think that varies with your insurance policy so you'd have to ask them directly whether they change your premium after a claim.

lulumama Tue 16-Sep-08 16:46:45

surely she will have to prove what losses she had? any inuries will have to be verified etc...

unfortunately, if you go into the back of somoene, you are liable.

have you spoken to your insurers?

do you have a protected no claim, don;t know if this makes a difference in this instance though>?

JRHartley Tue 16-Sep-08 16:59:48

You only pay one xs towards the repairs to your own car, not the other driver's xs as well. You would normally lose 2 yrs of your no claims bonus for each claim that is your fault. it varies from company to company, but a typical example is 5yrs no claims is a 65% discount and that would go down to 50% discount at your next renewal. Your in insurer could also add what's called a "loading" so there would be an extra increase added on apart from your loss of no claims discount. This will vary depending on the type of claim. As lulumama says you need to speak to your insurers. Hope this helps.

DanJARMouse Tue 16-Sep-08 17:04:27

You will only have to pay your excess, your insurance covers the other drivers excess.

Personal Losses can be a minefield - I would be wary of an injury though. Wiplash can take up to 36hrs to prevent itself. If she is claiming an injury, she can claim for loss of earnings, travel expenses to get to docs/hospital, prescription charges etc.

Sorry Charlee.

JRHartley Tue 16-Sep-08 17:19:20

But even if she does claim for whiplash etc, which seems to be pretty standard in most insurance claims these days anyway, this is what you pay your insurance for and your insurance company will cover the cost and deal with everything for you. Do you have protected no claims?

nervousal Wed 17-Sep-08 09:43:32

one quick thing - we've been told that if we reimburse our insurance company for the amount they have paid out that we won't lose our no-claims bonus - worht finding out from your insurers what the final settlement amount is.

Charlee Wed 17-Sep-08 12:50:15

Thanks guys, luckily we have no excess to pay as it's not us making a claim for our car its the driving instructor fixing his car luckily! Also the girl is now claiming she has severe pain in her neck, sholder and back but has to have a full medical, she will get compensation sadly you can't disprove back pain ect.
Our insurence will hopefully cover both claims the premium will go up by 40% next yr after loosing 4yrs no claims though, hope fully i can still afford to insure myself, as i said before i need my car for ds's stuff.

I have spoken to a friend who has an amazinf solicitor who says i could challenge it as she moved forward then suddenly stamped on the breaks but im not going to i just want this nightmare over with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now