Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My bank account has been emptied, have had card stopped but should I do anything else ??

(13 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Mon 15-Sep-08 15:47:02

Well, I say empty, but they have left me with £5.14.

Basically someone has used my card details to top up their mobile with Orange three times, to a toal of £125.

The payments have been called for but not yet physically left my account. Barclays can't/won't stop the payments, as they say they have to wait to see if the money does actually go and then file a fraud claim.

They have cancelled my card and are issuing a new one with new pin number, and they are going to ring me if they spot the transactions actually go through before I next go in.

Is there anything else I need to do ?? Have checked credit card account and that is fine, and have checked ebay and paypal and they are also fine.

Miaou Mon 15-Sep-08 15:48:26

Eek - no advice nutty, but what a bummer! sad what are you doing for money in the meantime?

IllegallyBrunette Mon 15-Sep-08 16:49:57

Thankfuly my mum has lent me some and I have some euros I can change too.

cornsilk Mon 15-Sep-08 16:51:24

Poor you - that's awful.

IllegallyBrunette Tue 16-Sep-08 12:18:02

Been back to the bank this morning and the payments still haven't been actually taken from my account but are just sitting there waiting to leave.

The lady in the bank thinks that maybe Orange think the payments are suss and are waiting to decide wether to take them or not.

I said I cannot wait forever to sort this out as I am £125 down. So if I go in tommorow and the payments still haven't moved then she will try and see if the card dept will cancel all 3 payments.

nervousal Wed 17-Sep-08 09:49:01

I don't understand why the bank can't stop the payments if you are saying they are fraudulent? Can't the bank contact Orange before the money goes to confirm Oranges suspicions?

Its a bit like a thief being caught with his hand on your money but still in your purse - nothing you can do til he takes the money out???

Nbg Wed 17-Sep-08 09:51:00

I would maybe try and call orange Nutty.
Not sure how far you would get with it, but you never know.

I've had my credit card fraudulently used and its a real PITA.

Gobbledigook Wed 17-Sep-08 09:53:42

OMG nutty! Barstewards.

Hope this gets sorted out quickly!

Gobbledigook Wed 17-Sep-08 09:55:01

We've had our CC used as well - and someone stole dh's identity and tried opening all sorts of accounts - it was a nightmare but got sorted in the end.

Our CC company were fabulous.

IllegallyBrunette Wed 17-Sep-08 17:26:42

Went back to the bank again today and the payments were still just sat there.

Thankfully the bank agreed to cancel them all, as it had been 5 days since the first transaction had been made, so that should of gone through if it was going to.

It is all very odd, and I am quite confused as to why the money never actually went anywhere, but am very pleased that I got my money back without having to file a dispute.

Had my new pin today, so just waiting for my new card and then I should be back to normal.

chipmonkey Wed 17-Sep-08 18:16:18

That happened to us twice and we noticed that it happened both times after we had been to a particular restaurant where the staff took our cards away from us to put the payment through, instead of bringing the machine to the table as they're supposed to. Got our money back in the end but it took ages.

IllegallyBrunette Thu 18-Sep-08 13:23:28

Well I spoke to soon. New card arrived today, so I logged into my account to find that the twat person that I spoke to yesterday, who said they would cancel the transactions, had done no such thing and all 3 went out this morning angry.

Went straight back to bank and luckily the woman who has dealt with it from the start was there, and she was not impressed at how I have been pissed about.

She was really busy though so asked me to ring through from the branch to the disputed payments section and ask them to fax over the forms for me to fill in there and then. I rang, gave them fax number and they said 'forms will be with you in 15 min'.

Bollocks

25 min later, still no forms, so lady dealing with it has to ring again, and apparently they hadn't been sent.

Anyhow, I have now filed a disputed payments claim, and she said I should get my money back within about a week, and if not to go back in a see her.

The people working at the call centres are obviously nowhere near as well trained as the people in the branches, as every single time I have rung them I have either been given the wrong advice, or they haven't done what they said they would.

flangemousses Sun 12-Jun-11 20:34:40

I have just had this done to me as well.I went to buy a few bits about 6 days before I was due to be paid & should have had about £60 to get me thru til payday as I struggle at the best of times,however my card was declined which was embarrassing as I work at Tesco where I was buying the shopping.I said that makes no sense but couldn't see anything on my internet banking but it did say over £100 was pending.Then as soon as I got paid,I took £200 out 2 pay a very important bill & it's good job I did cuz shortly after that,these thieves emptied my bank acc.I went to my internet banking unaware that I had no money & checked I had nearly £700 in my acc but only £16 available.I rang my bank & they told me 2 transactions had been made which took the rest & that they needed to block my card & I needed to call the Fraud number in the morning.I had £2 in my purse & nothing left.They said they know which transactions aren't mine but they have to wait until it actually debits b4 they can refund it which will be 10 working days & it would take around 48 hrs after that.With weekends that is going to be around 3 weeks & I have no idea how am gonna survive & the bank don't care even tho it's their fault it wasn't secure enough.All they could say was if I'm eligible for an over-draft they could sort that out for me otherwise nothing.I can't get an over draft so what so they expect me to do? These thieve make me sick! It's bad enough for me as I can't even pay my rent or bills but at least I don't have small children or babies to look after.They really don't care what they do to people and deserve very bad karma to come bk to them.I have got to go crawling to my parents for food money as I have nothing.This is terrible & it's all the uncertainty & stress that's the worst & the fear that it could just as easily happen again.My Daughter went & spent her EMA on food for us last night bless her but this is terrible,the banks should be doing more to protect or help us at this time sad :@

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: