Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

witness protection

(10 Posts)
3littlefrogs Sun 14-Sep-08 17:29:32

If you are the victim of a violent robbery/kidnap and the perpetrators threaten to kill you, and you later have to give evidence in the crown court, are you obliged to stand up and confirm your name and address? (Given that the friends and family of the perpetrators will be watching from the public gallery).

Is there any option to not give your name and address to all and sundry in open court?

mommy6 Sun 14-Sep-08 17:42:19

hmmm I'm not sure.All i know is i had to confirm my name and address,and even point out my house on a photo.
I was a witness to murder.
I would to speak to the police asap about any concerns.I was unaware that i would have to say where i lived,and if i remember correctly it was asked in court if i had to answer the question,which i did.

The only good thing i can say is,this was 7 years ago.The killer got life and nothing has happened to me.

lisad123 Sun 14-Sep-08 17:44:25

when i have given evidence I had to corfirm name, and work address was printed on my statements. Sorry not much help but they may ask you to confirm the address on paperwork rather than say it outloud. HTH

3littlefrogs Sun 14-Sep-08 18:07:55

I hope so. I am really worried about this, particularly as the police neglected to tell me until very recently that they have only caught one of the perpetrators. So the other one is out there.

Aimsmum Sun 14-Sep-08 18:13:05

Message withdrawn

3littlefrogs Sun 14-Sep-08 18:15:36

Have to go out now, but will check back later.

lizziemun Sun 14-Sep-08 20:38:40

3littlefrogs

When i was in court as i was victim in a carjacking and was told by witness support lady that i could request that my details could be witheld.

As it was i didn't have to go into the court room as they pleaded guilty on the day.

3littlefrogs Mon 15-Sep-08 09:37:50

Have just phoned the witness support lady who tells me that the defence already have all our details. Wonderful. That makes me feel ten times worse.

Aimsmum Mon 15-Sep-08 14:39:37

Message withdrawn

igivein Mon 15-Sep-08 14:53:34

as far as I know, they should have your name, but not your address. The address goes on the back of the statement form, only the front of the form is copied to send to the defence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now