Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can someone talk me through the patent system?

(8 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 19:41:12

I think I need to do a patent search

Then I need to (maybe) do a patent of an idea? - but can you do that without detailed drawings?

It is so not child/parenting based but it could be life changing

It is not my idea it is my dad so I am being quite cagey

WobblyPig Sat 13-Sep-08 20:02:34

Hi, I am wobblypig's husband and she has just passed the keyboard to me as I am a patent attorney - just set up my own business after many years employed in intellectul property. You can do a certain amount of searching using patent publication databases such as :

http://www.espacenet.com/index.en.htm

Don't get too hung up on searching though as it generally won't give you anything definitive. Speak to a patent attorney (not a lawyer) about the idea and get their advice on whether the idea is patentable. The Intellectual Property Office (formerly Patent Office) will conduct a search as part of the patenting process.

Most patent firms should provide an initial consultation free of charge (make sure you check first). I certainly do. I'd be happy to chat to you about it. Although my business is new I do advise James Caan on his Dragon's Den investments so I am pretty experienced. Let me know and i'll email you my details.

One more thing - you are right to be cagey initially as the most important thing about the patent process is that the invention must be new (not disclosed publically) before the date you have applied for protection - any formal discussions with patent attorneys though is bound by client confidentiality.

David

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 20:06:10

That is really interesting

Is there a lot of money involved in the early Stages?

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 20:06:51

Sorry I also meant to say thank you for that info

WobblyPig Sat 13-Sep-08 20:21:43

No problem at all. For preparing and filing a UK patent application I would charge around £1000 to £1500 (+VAT). Because I have little overheads I can charge quite low. Most other Firms I am aware of are more likely to charge £2000+. That would be it for one year, then there would be more charges to continue but by then you should have an idea of whether or not the idea is going to make you money. This is for a patent - it may be the case that the idea is best protected through a registered design(in which case the cost is more like £350) or trade mark (around £450). It all depends what the idea is.

KatyMac Sat 13-Sep-08 20:29:58

Thanks - I will pass this past my dad - if he wants to go further are you on CAT?

WobblyPig Sun 14-Sep-08 19:14:55

Yes and good luck to your dad.

KatyMac Sun 14-Sep-08 19:36:23

I have CAT'ed you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now