Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Untitled

(6 Posts)
mommy6 Sat 13-Sep-08 10:01:44

My mom brought a microwave from Currys with Russells Hobbs on the door.She had a 10% discount because there were no instructions,but was told she would be able to get some.After trying on line she emailed Russell Hobbs,only to have a email saying
"Curry's have licensed the brand name to use on a product they have sourced themselves."
Meaning the microwave she paid 125 for is not Russell Hobbs.After speaking to Curry's spares department she found out it was a Matsui.
Anybody Know if they can do this?

Freckle Sat 13-Sep-08 10:11:49

Quote the Sale of Goods Act 1979 to Currys. The product is not as described, i.e. it is not Russell Hobbs. Matsui is their own brand and I'm surprised that Russell Hobbs are jumping up and down and screaming passing-off.

Write a letter to Currys (recorded delivery) stating that you require a full refund to which you are entitled under the above named act as the microwave is not as described. Require them to refund the money within 14 days. Copy the letter to Trading Standards and make sure that this is obvious on the original letter to Currys.

Freckle Sat 13-Sep-08 10:12:19

That should read, surprised that RH aren't jumping up and down.

mommy6 Sat 13-Sep-08 11:02:03

Thanks for the reply Freckle.
I'll have a read of that act now.

mommy6 Sat 13-Sep-08 11:36:43

Update

Mom has spoke to Curry's this morning and offered a refund.
But how can they get away with this.They are selling things at a higher price because people think they are paying for a better brand.When you buy something you think you are getting what you pay for.I wonder how many other shops are doing the same.
I want to take it further but don't know what to do.
Any advice.

Freckle Sat 13-Sep-08 13:29:16

Send a letter to the head office of Russell Hobbs and copy it to Trading Standards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now