Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

MY HOUSE IS FALLING DOWN

(7 Posts)
SoVeryStupid Fri 12-Sep-08 15:25:59

the previous owners have indemnity insurance becuase there was no record found of permission to knock down the internal wall.There is a crack in the central beam ( old house)

The insurance say we are only covered from exchange and it was mentioned - briefly in the survey. The solicitor norme or dh picked it up,it was such a small mention.

What do i do?

noddyholder Fri 12-Sep-08 15:27:00

what does the indemnity cover?

curlywurlycremeegg Fri 12-Sep-08 15:29:35

Really sorry to hear this, I am watching with interest as our builders did a runner part was through some large refurb/building work and we are sure the house is structurally unsound, even though it meets building regs. I am waiting for a surveyor to come and report but we won't be covered by insurance and I don't think we have a hope in hell of getting anything out of the builder

SoVeryStupid Fri 12-Sep-08 15:51:08

Rang solicitor. They said i have to get a structural engineer. Rang SE - cost £250 +vat

Does this sound reasonable? There may be recourse to the original surveyor depending on what the report suggests.

noddyholder Fri 12-Sep-08 15:58:21

I had a full structural report done for a house recently and it was 495 so that sounds fair.

lalalonglegs Fri 12-Sep-08 16:32:18

If it was mentioned in the survey and you subsequently got insurance, then did the insurers specifically exclude this sort of repair from their terms?

Seabright Sun 14-Sep-08 23:10:38

Indemnity insurance for lack of planning permission/building regs only covers you if the local authoiryt take action against you have not having PP/BR. It doesn't cover you for getting the work put right if it was done wrongly in the first place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now