Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need help with toddler group accounts-is there an online template/idiots guide?

(23 Posts)
Flier Fri 12-Sep-08 12:08:06

have googled but can't find anything. Help!

Flier Fri 12-Sep-08 12:19:14


Flier Fri 12-Sep-08 12:31:24


Flier Fri 12-Sep-08 14:04:27


Cadbury Fri 12-Sep-08 14:07:04

no idea, but I'd be interested too if anyone know of one. I keep mine in a make shift ledger - just incomings and outgoings of cash before it gets banked.

Carnival Fri 12-Sep-08 14:10:58


If you want to do it on a spreadsheet, there are template balance sheets in Excel. I suppose you could use those as a starter, print some off, if you didn't want to have it electronically.

File, new, template balance sheet...

Don't know if this helps at all

Flier Fri 12-Sep-08 15:52:33

thanks Carnival. I was really thinking more of a tutorial type thing, as well as a template. I can't load the excel template you mentioned, as don't have the disc sad

Flier Sat 13-Sep-08 16:40:20


Eddas Sat 13-Sep-08 16:58:46

I don't know of any templates, but can I help at all? i'm an accountant.

PuppyMonkey Sat 13-Sep-08 17:02:11

Do they still do those old-fashioned Finco sheets to fill in purchases, petty, cash, bank etc?

Niecie Sat 13-Sep-08 17:03:40

Is it just a common or garden toddler group?

I would just add up all your income and then list all your different types of expenditure and deduct.

Who is it for?

Unless you are dealing with £000's you don't need a balance sheet.

Eddas Sat 13-Sep-08 17:04:33

actualy, try posting this in the freelance/self employed section as some of them may use a computerised package

Eddas Sat 13-Sep-08 17:07:25

i've just searched for 'accounting software' and that brought up a few options.

TBH i'd just use an excel spreadsheet, that's what we do with small business/charities and the like smile I could do a template for you

Flier Sat 13-Sep-08 17:11:42

thanks everyone. I've recently taken it on and they don't make sense to me. Last years closing balance (cash) wasn't used as the corrent years opening balance and I want to be sure of what I'm talking about before I go back to the previous treasurer with it. I alsow want to know how to properly deral with petty cash. ave an HNC in accounts from many moons ago but haven't actually done book-keeping, more management accounts and standard accounts.
Eddas - The "matching" concept doesn't appear to have been used ie Insurance for the year the full cost is taken n the month it was charged (not n=one twelfth). I dunno, I'm confusing myself now blush

Eddas Sat 13-Sep-08 17:17:47

flier, that happens alot. The general thing seems to be, for annual, accounts that you just leave a full year in whenever it's paid. It's quite common. You could prepay 11/12 this year to carry it forward correctly. It would mean that this years figure would be small, but going forward would be correct. For small accounts simplicity is best, if you deal with management accounts then it will look odd!

Do you have specific queries with the petty cash?

Flier Sat 13-Sep-08 17:26:13

thanks eddas. Re petty cash, its the recording of it I'm not clued up on, there is some guidance in the info I have, but in the past they have just paid back the snack and any toys people have bought by cheque, which I think leaves poeple out of pocket for too long, I'd rather be able to pay them in cash each week.
So, Is this correct? I would keep a seperate tin for petty cash money, and a seperate book, so it would be almost like seperate accounts, and anytime anyone needed reimbursed it would come from the tin and I would top this up as and when from the main bank account, writing a cheque for cash?
It actually seems quite simple when I think of it logically grin, but am I correct in saying that I should have it seperate? Anythuing else I should know?

Eddas Sat 13-Sep-08 17:31:47

Yep I would do just that. Just a little note book is adequate to record it. I would start off th book with any cah in hand and then put a minus figure for each cash item paid out, then if you cash a cheque put it in as a positive figure, sot of keep a running total so you know how much is there.

Basically, bookkeeping can be done how you choose. As long as you understand it then that's fine. There's no set rulessmile

n5rje Sat 13-Sep-08 17:38:13

I use a carbon copy receipt book to record ins and outs and be able to give a receipt to parents then transfer the details to a basic spreadsheet cashbook with columns for the different types of transactions. Then you can use the totals in another sheet to produce an income/expenditure statement and keep a running total of cash to agree to your cash box or bank statement.

Flier Sat 13-Sep-08 17:47:48

thanks very much. My management acoountants brain has obviously over complicated things grin

It doesn't get away from the fact that the current years opening balance is different from previous years closing balance though hmm how to deal with that one....... wink

Eddas Sat 13-Sep-08 17:52:09

how different is it? TBH i'd refer it back to the previous treasurer if they likely to help

n5rje Sat 13-Sep-08 21:39:15

By cash do you mean actual cash in the petty cash box or do you have a bank account as well ?

Eddas Sat 13-Sep-08 23:11:27

i think flier means petty cash not bank

Flier Mon 15-Sep-08 08:04:27

thanks for your help, eddas, I found an old Frank wood book thats made things a little clearer for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: