Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Wills/Australia advice needed.

(3 Posts)
jojoisamum Fri 12-Sep-08 10:31:10

We're about to update our wills following DS's birth. If in the horrible event that both DH and myself die together, it is our wish to send DS to his Uncle and family in Australia (DH's brother and wife). Does anyone know the emigration rules on this? Is it straightforward or not? I know that we can't move to Australia at the law/emigration stands at the moment as we don't have enough points but what I don't want is for something to happen to us and for DS to end up in care because the law says even though we have died that DS can't be sent to Australia.

If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

I think there is something to do with last surviving relative but not sure.

mumblechum Fri 12-Sep-08 13:41:48

Don't know, but suggest you go on the homeoffice website for immigration, get the phone no. & ask someone.

Are you sure it would be in your dc's interest to have such a huge upheaval, moving to the other side of the world if already coping with bereavement?

Our ds's guardians are friends in same village to keep things on an even keel.

jojoisamum Fri 12-Sep-08 15:06:11

Because we have no family here and although we have some very good friends we think he'd be better of being brought up by family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now