Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How on Earth

(4 Posts)
PurpleOne Thu 11-Sep-08 21:22:42

Am I supposed to locate, and then get an appt with a solicitor in just 4 working days?

Got 2 summons this morning. One for the 18th (next Thurs)
and another for 18th October (Saturday) hmm

Is it possible to find a solicitor in such a short space of time??
Really don't want to go into a Mag's court unrepresented as I've never been before, and I'm pleading guilty.

Any advice?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Sep-08 22:14:08

You probably won't have a problem. Just look up the local ones on the law society website and ring them. They will have someone on duty on those days. I'm assuming it's not too complex if you are pleading guilty. BTW magistrates court is not that scary don't worry.

PurpleOne Thu 11-Sep-08 22:31:43

It's scary enough to be going in there totally alone and facing all the education welfare people that have grilled me in the past.

If I'm lucky enough, I'll probably get a fine [prays]. Just hope the judge isn't having a bad day when I go.

Is it normal to have a hearing on a Saturday? Solicitors don't work on Saturdays do they?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Sep-08 22:38:58

Saturday morning I assume - the magistrates courts are all backed up - so I guess they are extending their hours. But you've always been able to be hauled in front of the beak Saturday morning for your Friday night misdemeanours round here.

You are pleading guilty, what you say pretty much doesn't matter (unless you say 'hahah I enjoyed it, I'd do it again tomorrow and next time I'll bring my gun') wink

"Mea Culpa, sorry" is your line. Stick to it and I'm sure you'll be fine (have no idea what you've done but it can't be that bad if you are going through magistrates for a hearing and not just to be committed to a higher court.

Solicitors work 24/7.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now