Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

does anyone know anything about the tax being given back in wages

(7 Posts)
stuffing Thu 11-Sep-08 16:00:18

hi was told at work that gordon brown was giving a tax rebate as he had put up the tax to high and was now giving it back my wage slip showed i am getting an amount back in wages tomorrow but i hadnt heard anything about it

also my dp went self employed in mid may does this mean he wont recieve it or will he have to phone the inland revenue thanks

Pinkmist Thu 11-Sep-08 16:03:20

I know I got a rebate in my wages after paying emergancy tax and then the tax office having me on the wrong code, and that was paid back in my wages, but I haven't heard about this....

stuffing Thu 11-Sep-08 16:20:10

i hadn`t heard nothing until someone came in saying their husband had money in his wages and we all checked our wage slips and we had to and some had paid no tax and got a smaller amount back

LadyMuck Thu 11-Sep-08 16:26:21

The personal allowance has increased by £600 this month (though applies to the whole of the year, and in particular retrospectively since April). For people who have PAYE deducted form their salary, this means that they will have 6 months worth of the extra tax-free amount in their September salary.

The changes mean that employees paid on a monthly basis receive around £60 extra in September followed by an additional £10 a month until the end of the tax year.

For employees paid weekly there is an increase of around £53 in their pay for the week starting 7 September, followed by an extra £2.30 each week for the remainder of the tax year.

For employees who have paid less than £60 tax by the end of August this year, the September increase in pay matches the tax they had paid so far.

As your dp is now self-employed, he presumably doesn't have PAYE deducted, so he won't receive the benefit in the increased personal allowance until he does make his tax payment(s) for the year.

TheInvisibleManDidIt Thu 11-Sep-08 16:27:56

a collegue told me about this the other day, but i'm a bit confused by it.

Not going to be alot though. Only something like £10 a month for the next 6 months. Still every bit counts smile

Don't know if it's the same for everyone though, and I may have understood her and got it completly wrong....

Aimsmum Thu 11-Sep-08 16:31:02

Message withdrawn

whoops Thu 11-Sep-08 16:34:00

Everyones tax code is changing by 60 so most people are on 543L now will go to 603L this will mean in the first pay packet you get you will get and extra amout (£60 if you are monthly paid) and then it is about £10 pm from then on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now