Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

doing a new will - does this bit matter??

(6 Posts)
LittleWonder Thu 11-Sep-08 15:06:58

I need to re-do my will. Not impressed with the solicitor I originally did it with - does it matter? Shall I just re-do it through him or start again with a new lawyer? Can I trust that it has all been done properly, is it that straightforward? How much should I expect to pay for changing it a bit?

LittleWonder Thu 11-Sep-08 17:04:00

mumblechum Thu 11-Sep-08 17:18:29

Unless your existing will is fairly recent, so it's just a matter of bringing it up on the system & changing one or two details, and certainly if you're changing solicitors, you'll have to do a new one.

I'm writing loads of wills at the moment (divorce work v. slow). I usually charge £150 plus VAT.

For your existing sol to change a fairly recent will you should be charged about £50 plus VAT. It may sound a lot, but most decent sols charge between £150 & £200 an hour, so even just taking your instructions over the phone to change something, looking at the existing will, dictating the changes, getting you in to go over it and sign will take about 18mins minimum.

What is it you need to change? If it's just an address or something, you don't need to change your whole will.

LittleWonder Fri 12-Sep-08 10:26:19

thanks Mumble. I need to change one child Guardian and a few bits. he is just a local shambolic one who made rather a mess of my mortgage - this is why am wondering whether I should start over.

mumblechum Fri 12-Sep-08 10:38:48

If your current will is ok, I'd ask how much they'll charge you to change a few details. If it's more than £75, I'd do a new one.

LittleWonder Fri 12-Sep-08 13:06:38

Okay, will do that. thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now