Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What is the heaviest object that a pregnant woman can be expected to lift at work.

(15 Posts)
Reallytired Wed 10-Sep-08 21:09:54

I have had absolutely no training in how to lift objects. Yet I am being asked to to lift 17" computer monitors. The caretaker is supposed to do it for me, but he is refusing.

I am nearly nine week pregnant. At the moment I am getting sympathetic teachers to help me.

Can a pregnant woman legally refuse to lift a 17 inch CRT computer monitor? I am worried about wrecking my back.

forevercleaning Wed 10-Sep-08 21:11:51

you do not have to life anything you do not feel happy with. That is a fact. If you do life something such as the monitor etc, you should have had some manual handling training.

MsHighwater Wed 10-Sep-08 21:12:04

If you have had no training and you are pregnant I think you would be within your rights to refuse. Would you normally be expected to do this? Why is the caretaker refusing?

Have you asked for a risk assessment of your job in view of your pregnancy? If not, I suggest you do so asap.

forevercleaning Wed 10-Sep-08 21:12:23

that is pregnant or not by the way.

Twiglett Wed 10-Sep-08 21:12:33

training in lifting objects? .. oh c'mon now RT.. <sighs deeply>

if you're pregnant and don't want to do it, tell them you are uncomfortable with taking the risk of moving them because of your pregnancy and don't worry about the legal aspect .. I'm fairly certain there is no specific weight legislation

flowerybeanbag Wed 10-Sep-08 21:13:14

There is no specified weight that pregnant women can't lift.

If you are pregnant your employer should give you a health and safety risk assessment to identify if there are any areas of your job/working environment which may present a risk for you and to deal with them. So something like lifting heavy objects should be identified as a possible risk and a solution found.

Have you had this risk assessment?

Have you spoken to your line manager about this problem?

If someone else is already supposed to be doing this lifting, why is he refusing and what's being done about that?

PavlovtheCat Wed 10-Sep-08 21:13:33

I would not lift it even if I was not pregnant!

Do not do it.

pointydog Wed 10-Sep-08 21:21:03

erm, a camel?

harpomarx Wed 10-Sep-08 21:25:01

I think the potential for harm is something to do with your ligaments softening, not so much the back issue. I remember being told in an antenatal class by a physiotherapist about this and it was quite refreshing to be told by an expert about the possibility of damage from doing stuff around the house like decorating etc etc. Obviously, I am a slattern looking for excuses not to do things but sometimes people do seem to make a point of expecting themselves/other pregnant people to carry on as normal (after all we don't go into confinement any more...)

I did discuss this with my employer when I first got pregnant since I was about to apply for another job and wasn't sure whether I had to tell them or not. He thought it was important precisely because of the risk of carrying equipment (it was a photographic job) as he thought employers shouldn't unwittingly be put in the position of causing problems during pregnancy.

what is going on with the caretaker - does he know you are pregnant?

CoolYourJets Wed 10-Sep-08 21:30:43

um Twig training for lifting objects was mandatory in the blue chip company that i worked for. Only for those who had too though like deeds management teams and yes equipment movers for monitors base units etc.

You could be disciplined if you did not use the correct equipment too i.e. trolleys for heavy monitors.

Twiglett Wed 10-Sep-08 21:40:16

H&S baloney-oney-o

benda ze knees

DanJARMouse Wed 10-Sep-08 21:41:48

a cup of tea!

Although to be fair, I moved house in 2 of my pregnancies as was lifting more than the weight of a computer monitor.

AbstractMouse Wed 10-Sep-08 22:34:21

I was once asked by a MIDWIFE to carry a babycot down a flight of stairs (the fishtank kind) with the Dad when I was about 5 months pregnant. Obviously the baby was removed from the cot but fgs, I said no to put it mildly.

Just don't do anything your uncomfortable with, it's not worth it. If you hurt your back etc your employer will suffer as well as you, no concessions were made for me and I used to go home after a 12 hour shift and not be able to walk (went on maternity leave asap and never went back).

PeppermintPatty Wed 10-Sep-08 22:42:50

I would probably lift it just to prove a point (not sure what about - probably to prove that although I'm pregnant I can still do everything I did before). But I'm just contrary like that. And would probably end up with a bad back knowing my luck.

If YOU'RE not happy with it, don't do it

twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 22:51:38

a large bag of donuts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now