Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

There was no credit crunch for my grandma

(28 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 20:38:05

My grandma has just died and we have been soring though her papers.

She sold her house about 25 years ago and gave all her money to away to a strange cult in India. She has then lived in rented accomodation and then council housing ever since. Over the last ten years since having a stroke we have been watching her slowly deteriate into dementia and sink into poverty. We found out last year that she had been falling prey to all sorts of con artists and for that reason had sold most of her furniture, was chopping some of it up to provide fuel for her fire and when that ran out she was sat in a freezing house not eating very much. We started giving her money to top up her pension but there was little improvement.

Going through her papers we can see just how bad things are, for about 5 years she ahs been borrowing heavily from the bank and lst year took out a final loan for £15K. I just don't understand why anyone , never mind a bank would lend this to a woman who had not worked for over 20 years, had no assets, no life insurance and was in and out of hospital facing death. I can accept that if the application was done by post they would not have noticed her mental deterioratio but if they had even spoken to her the mental deterioration would have been clear.

Wolfgirl Wed 10-Sep-08 20:41:30

bloody hell twinset!! how sad, sad bastard thieves!

twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 20:44:20

It was Natwest Bank not some loan sharks.

masalachameleon Wed 10-Sep-08 20:49:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Overmydeadbody Wed 10-Sep-08 20:52:00

That is really sad twinset!

So sorry. The banks should be ashamed of themselves.

traceybath Wed 10-Sep-08 20:52:32

I would say you have a definite case for mis-selling with NatWest. Talk to their complaints department - am pretty sure they're not allowed to do this.

squeaver Wed 10-Sep-08 20:52:53

That's horrendous, twinset. What happens now? Does her estate have to repay the loan?

Wolfgirl Wed 10-Sep-08 20:53:03

Yes, the cult and the bank I mean! and yes, Natwest should be ashamed of themselves. Grrrrr...

expatinscotland Wed 10-Sep-08 20:53:50

sad

Doodle2U Wed 10-Sep-08 20:54:42

I agree with traceybath, T&P. It does sound like a definite case of mis-selling. Was the final bank loan covered by insurance? What did she secure it against?

pointydog Wed 10-Sep-08 20:56:03

I get seriously hacked off with the immorality of banks and their complete lack of accountability. I feel for you.

traceybath Wed 10-Sep-08 20:57:01

My sister is a complaints manager for a high street bank and deals with cases like this - sales staff have high targets and sometimes a little mis-selling of products goes on (allegedly).

I think there was a panorama documentary about the like last year where they showed staff altering people's circumstances on applications so they could get loans.

Very irresponsible on the banks behalf and utterly appalling for the people involved who ended up with debts they never had any hope of re-paying.

twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 20:58:43

She has no estate, she has sold everything of value apart from two rings which are probably worth little more than a few hundred each. That is why I don't understand how she got the loan.

traceybath Wed 10-Sep-08 21:03:16

Something very wrong has happened. Whoever is the executor of the estate needs to speak to the bank and ask to see copies of all the documentation relating to the loan and any other loans she had with them.

Am sorry for your loss T&P and now having to deal with this messy situation. I suspect she got the last loan to service the re-payments on other loans which is so sad.

singingtree Wed 10-Sep-08 21:05:46

That's terrible sad

twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 21:06:55

She has kept all the papers ,although we cannot see any application. Yes she was continually topping up loans.

The will is another complication, as it lists things that don;t exist or she sold a long time ago. The only things of value ( which is very little, we are talking hundreds) have been left to her sister and the solicitors who are the executors. I may also have to pay for her will to be dealt with even though none of it exists, except what is going to the solicitor!

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Wed 10-Sep-08 21:08:30

you're not going to get stuck with the loan are you?

expatinscotland Wed 10-Sep-08 21:09:12

gees, what if you couldn't afford to pay for the will to be dealt with?

twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 21:09:41

I wouldn't have thought so it was in her name, so should die with her.

WingsofaAngel Wed 10-Sep-08 21:16:42

I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

You are not liable for a loan if someone dies unless your name is on the loan agreement or it is joint names.

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Wed 10-Sep-08 21:19:02

that's fortunate as I believe in the States you get saddled with relatives debts.

traceybath Wed 10-Sep-08 21:34:39

Just one final thing - if it was mis-selling the bank should offer compensation.

twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 21:56:21

I can't afford to pay for the will to be dealt with expat, or the funeral we are going through very difficult times ourselves financially. I will have to find the money though.

twinsetandpearls Wed 10-Sep-08 21:57:32

What bothers me though is that a confused ill old woman spent her last months living in a cold empty house because people had conned money out of her.

Doodle2U Wed 10-Sep-08 22:55:12

Twinset, please double check the situation with that loan. I'm not at all sure the loan dies with her. That's not been my experience, in any case.

I'm so sorry it's left you feeling so sad. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now