Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Involved in car incident for the first time, what do I do please?

(8 Posts)
mm22bys Wed 10-Sep-08 09:42:50


I was involved in a minor scrap with another vehicle this morning. No body was hurt, the damage to my car was minimal, some paintwork damage to the other car. We both have insurance.

It was my fault, it was very heavy school drop-off traffic and I was annoyed and impatient and side-swiped him.

I have contacted my insurance company to pay for the damage to his car - it was my fault, and they will contact me back.

What more do I need to do to? I don't intend to claim for the damage to my car. Is it a case of his insurance company contacting me so they can claim through my company?


Eddas Wed 10-Sep-08 10:13:03

i think you've done all you can atm. Contactng your insurance is it really. He'll then contact his and that'll get them talking to each other.

mm22bys Wed 10-Sep-08 12:15:31

Thanks, he phoned me before. He said the damage to his car is less severe than he initially thought.

He wants to not get the insurance companies involved now, he thinks it will be cheaper in the long run to get it fixed ourselves (or I guess he means for me to pay for it!).

He suggested it will cost £50 to fix, our excess is £200.

Would it be reasonable to ask him to get 2 quotes, and go from there?

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 12:17:09

I´d do it through the insurance company if I were you. For all you know, the quotes he gets could be friends of his.

mm22bys Wed 10-Sep-08 12:27:52

Yep, that's what I was worried about! And the fact he could add in "extras" too.

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 12:37:24

if your excess is £200 and he thinks it will cost £50 it will still cost you £50 through the insurance company because it will come out of your excess. But you will loose your no claims bonus.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 10-Sep-08 12:40:43

even if it is minor I doubt £50 would cover materials and labour. I reckon he has no intention of getting it repaired and would rather have £50 in his pocket.
I'd ask to see a quote if you want to go down this route.

Eddas Wed 10-Sep-08 12:45:13

i'd consider not doing it through the insurance but do as others have suggested and get a copy of the quote or even ask someone you know to quote(if you know anyone?) I did this once. Someone hit me from behind. My car wasn't badly damaged at all but the paintwork was affected, the other person knew someone that did mobile paint spraying, so I said fine. They came to my house fixed it and that was that.

BUT if you don't go through the insurance then you will still need to mention it when applying for insurance in the furture as I didn't and the quote went upangry The quoe will be the same as long as you mention it. They said i'd been dishonestshock I'd just assumed no claim=no need to mention but apparently notsad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: