Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone help me with the law about parking in loading bays? Got a ticket...

(16 Posts)
alittleteapot Tue 09-Sep-08 11:53:21

So I parked in a loading bay and got a ticket after 8 minutes. I appealed saying I was loading and hadn't exceeded the 20 minutes allowed. They say I have to provide an invoice or receipt proving that I was loading. I can't do this. They say they can give a ticket after 3 minutes if they don't see you physically loading. They say that they don't have to make explicit on the loading sign that you will need to require evidence of your loading if for example you are waiting in a shop for a few minutes.

This is a red route penalty charge of £60. Have I got a case or shall I just pay it? I just spoke to them and they said I could get a letter from the shop, but we're talking end of June - how would they remember me?

Thanks for any advice.

nervousal Tue 09-Sep-08 11:56:31

I thought loading bays were for commercial deliveries only? If you can't prove that you ere loading and not just popping into the shop for 10 mins then I think you should just pay it.

alittleteapot Tue 09-Sep-08 11:58:50

Yeah, that;s probably me rumbled then. angry (at them and at self)

alittleteapot Tue 09-Sep-08 11:59:13

PS but really then they should make that explicit imo

Blu Tue 09-Sep-08 11:59:53

In our borough loading bays are for commercial vehicles - and they get ticketed if the van doors are shut!!! Big problm fo thedt etc unless they have a driver and a mate. The business community moan about it big time, and I'm not surprised. Loading bays are wider than 'P' bays fo 20 min parking.

I don't think loading up your ordinary shopping, or child counts....what were you loading?

nervousal Tue 09-Sep-08 12:01:18

if you're "rumbled" why are you angry at them? You shouldn't have parked there - you did and you got caught.

Divvy Tue 09-Sep-08 12:04:05

think of the poor LGV driver that will have to take the lorry around the block, not easy in London or other red route areas.

Even they have strict rules about unloading in red route...if its not done in time, they jsut have to go!

alittleteapot Tue 09-Sep-08 13:12:50

Yes that's true. I suppose I'm angry because I believe councils and tfl make it impossible for anyone to do car errands and it's simply to raise extra cash - imo it has very little to do with traffic flow or promoting environmental travel habits. I was loading a heavy light from a lighting shop while carrying a 1 year old, so no, I'm not commercial and I don't have a trolley and loads of boxes and I did sort of know I was taking a chance, but it annoys me because I wasn't parking there while I went and had lunch or something. I do have a friend who got off by explaining she was picking something up and was heavily pregnant, that's why I asked the question on here because it seems a bit arbitary. I've also got off before now when I was collecting funeral booklets from a printer and got a ticket. So it does seem a bit arbitary and I think they should make it clearer. But yes, you're right, I'll just have to shut up or pay up.

Blu Tue 09-Sep-08 13:20:03

I sympathise with the frustration of it all.

I got done a couple of weeks ago because I had stopped at the chemist on the way to work to collect one of DS's endless prescriptions - there was a huge to-do - Dr had written it up wrong, phonecalls back and forth...and one of those dratted cameras on it that electronically does you after 20mins.

AND because vans get done in loading bays if their doors are not left open, they park in the 20 min parking bay next to it - so no room for quick shoppers.

janinlondon Tue 09-Sep-08 14:44:00

I just beat TFL on a red route loading bay ticket, but it took a lot of work and eight months. They have two types of loading bays - commercial ones (which are actually marked as commercial) and ordinary loading bays. I had photos of the bay in question, my car in the bay, the items I was delivering (non commercial) etc. But to be honest it was such a pain in the arse to prove the point I think even I would pay it next time. (Blu it was the loading bay on the red route at the bottom of DA).

TheBlonde Tue 09-Sep-08 14:47:35

How do you tell which are commercial and which aren't? Does it say on the sign?

janinlondon Tue 09-Sep-08 14:49:58

Yes - there are two different signs. This site may be helpful>> www.parkingticket.co.uk/ca.html

alittleteapot Tue 09-Sep-08 14:51:49

I'm trying to pay it now but their site says invalid charge number and their phone not answering. janinlondon, i think that's the thing - all this makes living london like wading through treacle. everything is so hard to do and it just contributes to this viral tension.

now i've got through to the robot and she's saying it's now £120 even tho my letter says i should still be on the discount.

janinlondon Tue 09-Sep-08 14:52:58

Actually this one is better for discussions

www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/122507-route-pcn-stopping-loading.html

janinlondon Tue 09-Sep-08 14:54:22

Aha! You have them at their best already. Start a log. Keep a record of every time you try to call, everyone you speak to, and every incorrect step they take (they take many - you've just seen the first). Eventually you send a letter of complaint and they dismiss the PCN on the grounds of their own incompetence.

alittleteapot Tue 09-Sep-08 14:55:24

oh thanks jan. will check that out for next time for sure. just finally managed to pay this one. annoyed but at least it's done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now