Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone help me with my budget? What do you pay for gas/leccy?

(8 Posts)
RambleOn Mon 08-Sep-08 20:56:19

I am trying to work out a rough budget for when I have my own place (am currently separated, but living with ex).

I have a DD of 23mo, and all being well a newborn in January.

Am basing it on a 3 bed semi, and will obviously be in most of the day with the children.

Can anyone give me even a vague idea of how much my gas and electricity bills are likely to be? How much do you pay?

hopefully Tue 09-Sep-08 09:27:14

we have storage heaters, so quite inefficient heating, in a 1930s 2 bed semi, and last winter our electricity bill was something in the region of £75 a month. The only gas we have is two big canisters outside for running the hob, and we spend about £50 for 9 months on those...

We also have an open log fire, which means we use the heating less, and we probably spent something like £25 a month in wood?

DanJARMouse Tue 09-Sep-08 09:29:07

3 bed semi on pre-pay meters through choice, we pay during winter £15 a week on elec and £10 on gas. during summer is more like £8 a week elec and £3 gas.

Chocolateteapot Tue 09-Sep-08 09:31:52

3/4 bed detached (it does have cavity wall insulation), both work from home so in all day. We pay monthly by direct debit, £75 combined for gas and electric.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 09:32:43

I live in a 70s end of terrace, only have storage heaters and no gas supply. Our direct debit is £70 per month, but this is all our power. We had a bit of fluctuating where the leccie company used to put our payment up and down, but think this has settled now. May go up thanks to price rises tho hmm

hecate Tue 09-Sep-08 09:34:20

88.88 per calender month (combined gas and elec). At the moment. Until the bastards put it up again.

nervousal Tue 09-Sep-08 11:59:51

we're in a 4 bed detached and pay less than £50 direct debit per month for gas and electric combined. We;re in credit in both accounts

RambleOn Tue 09-Sep-08 16:23:59

Wow, these figures vary quite a lot between you all don't they?

They are all a lot more than when I last paid for utilities as a single, childless person 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now