Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Exploding halogen bulb - wrecked brand new carpet - aargh!

(13 Posts)
Dumbass Mon 08-Sep-08 00:09:00

My parents have recently redecorated their kitchen following a burst pipe/flooding incident. They have (amongst other things)a brand new flotex carpet and brand new light fittings which came (with halogen bulbs included) from a well known DIY store.
Today we turned the lights on and were standing in the kitchen one of the bulbs exploded. Huge bang, burning smell, shards of glass all over floor which had narrowly missed us all. When we tried to pick the bits of glass up we realised that a fair few chunks had melted onto the carpet and would not come off. There were also a couple of bits melted onto the new-ish hall carpet too. My dad thinks they will have to claim on their house insurance again after only just claiming on it, I think that the DIY store is liable...
What should they do?

AvenaLife Mon 08-Sep-08 00:10:01

Phone the insurance company.

Dumbass Mon 08-Sep-08 00:10:12

Just to make it clear the light fitting and bulbs came from the DIY store, the carpet from another place entirely.

DaisySteiner Mon 08-Sep-08 07:48:05

Unless they have accidental damage cover on their insurance I don't think they'll be covered I'm afraid.

nannyL Mon 08-Sep-08 08:43:31

surely the product itself is faulty and caused the damage so its te DIY store who should be liable?.... assuming it really was installed correctly in the first place

In the same way that when shops sold faulty petrol they had to pay for the owners cars to be repaired, and when i had a whole batch of mouldy de-ionised water asda gave me a brand new iron AND money back for de-ionised water?

TattyCatty Mon 08-Sep-08 08:53:09

Ring Trading Standards and they should be able to advise. We had something similar happening with exploding light fittings (they weren't from a shop starting with an "H" by any chance were they?), and we were advised that they were liable for any costs that you incur as a result - in our case, electrician to come and take down the damaged fitting and fit a new one. Trading Standards will be able to send you template letters to put your claim in on.

ninedragons Mon 08-Sep-08 09:15:37

Get an independent person to check and photograph the fitting before you remove it. TattyCatty is right, you should speak to Trading Standards.

I'd also Google to see if there are any product recall notices out for this particular light fitting.

My brother's house almost burned down because of a halogen light that wasn't faulty but had been fitted incorrectly.

Dumbass Mon 08-Sep-08 09:46:27

Oh My God TattyCatty! Yes, Homebase!

I was pretty sure that they would be liable, as I can't see how we would have no comeback when the product is obviously faulty, ruined a new carpet and - even more scarily - almost blinded my ds!! They are bloody big chunks that come off those things, I was quite amazed.

Ninedragons, that is awful!

SaintGeorge Mon 08-Sep-08 10:00:23

Manufacturing fault or grease on the bulb.

Did anyone handle the bulb at all when fitting the lights?

It is imperative that you wear gloves/use a cloth when touching halogens.

Dumbass Mon 08-Sep-08 10:01:00

Tattycatty, was it the light fitting that exploded or the bulb? It was definitly the bulb in this case. I've just done a bit of research on the web and found this - "Halogen bulbs work under pressure, the toughened screen is a safety device designed to contain an exploding bulb within the lamp housing".

Looks like the toughened screen wasn't fitted properly. We found it in the dining room...

Dumbass Mon 08-Sep-08 10:02:42

Don't think so SaintGeorge... would have to check with parents but don't think they would have done.

TattyCatty Mon 08-Sep-08 12:08:45

Sorry for not replying sooner, been working (honest guv!). Yes, Homebase is the one. The bulb exploded and the force of it caused the whole glass shade to shatter as well. Thankfully nobody was in the room at the time, hate to think what would have happened if DD had been in the room. I've known the screen come off when I've tried to change Halogen bulbs before (using the little sucker thing they give you - complete pain in the backside in my opinion), so I'm not convinced that it's an adequate safety measure anyway. Let us know what Trading Standards say.

Dumbass Mon 08-Sep-08 21:06:30

Thanks TC. They have contacted Trading Standards and been told that Homebase are liable and to go into the store and speak to someone. If there are any probs they are then to go back to Trading Standards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now