Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

bankrupcy ....any advice gratefully recieved

(7 Posts)
candyfluff Sat 06-Sep-08 18:21:00

have 19 grand of debt i cant pay back so im making myself bankrupt any one got experience of this?

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 18:24:50

Have you been to the CAB or had any debt advice for this first? The CAB can negotiate on your behalf and get interest frozen on your debts. Banckruptcy can mean you could loose your house if you own it. It also takes time to repair your credit (years).

candyfluff Sat 06-Sep-08 18:52:39

have been to see the c.a.b for 3 months and have come to the conclusion that this would be the best course to take ,my credit rating is shot to bits anyway so it doesnt mean that much to me.we are council tenants so dont have to worry about losing our home and i dont have any assets they could take either .am very scared though

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 18:57:51

You do have to pay to become bankrupt. The court can also order you to repay some or all of the debts that you are hoping to clear so it doesn't automatically clear them. Did the CAB tell you about all of the other options?

Oneboyonegirl is going through this at the moment. I would say that this is a last resort and you really should look at all the other options, such as IVA's first. 19K isn't a small amount but it isn't a huge amount either.

I shall be back later. smile

lilacclaire Sun 07-Sep-08 08:27:55

If your co-operate fully, you can be discharged from the bankruptcy in 1 year.

fedupandisolated Sun 07-Sep-08 08:46:44

candyfluff - check out Debt Help UK website. They have a forum there with some very knowledgeable people who post regularly - at least one of them is an Official Receiver and very approachable. He will give you excellent advice.

Think the link is here. Click on the Debt Help UK Forum at the top of the page there.

candyfluff Sun 07-Sep-08 19:16:20

thankyou will do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now