Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I've just had £1300 taken out of my bank account fraudulently

(13 Posts)
RnB Sat 06-Sep-08 10:22:17

Message withdrawn

cornsilk Sat 06-Sep-08 10:25:51

bloody hell!

MatNanPlus Sat 06-Sep-08 10:27:57

I had money taken via American site and LloydsTSB refuned it while they investigated and cancelled the card as internet payment and issued new card, yours should do the same as to do over the web surely they used your 16 digit card number not your actual account number RnB?

hecate Sat 06-Sep-08 10:28:18

That's awful. But the bank has a duty to protect you, so don't let them make you think that there's nothing they can do.

wontbepreggersagain Sat 06-Sep-08 10:29:08

i seem to have had my debit card cloned- checked my online banking and three days in a row 300 quid has been withdrawn in cash- but my bank card has been locked in the safe hmm i bank with smile and they have been fab! i have to sign some bits of paper- then the money goes back into the account whilst it is investigated- then if it was me that withdrew it (which it obviously wasn't) they take the money again- so i'm no worse off thankfully!

i have had fraudulent transactions before- again they were great, cancelled the card and refunded the money!

RnB Sat 06-Sep-08 10:44:15

Message withdrawn

Mamazon Sat 06-Sep-08 10:47:12

OMG RnB that is awful!

i thought that most banks automatically refundyour money and then worry about tracking down teh fraudster's themselves.

that really is very poor. are you calling the customer services bit? if so i would go to the fraud helpline if they have ne. hopefully they will be a bit better.

I would be in tears by now i think.

catweazle Sat 06-Sep-08 11:05:45

What they should do is close your account and open another one. They certainly shouldn't let it go through again.

My DS had his card cloned at a petrol station and the bank was very quick to sort it out. (They did ask him was he sure he hadn't been to Kuala Lumpar hmm )

RnB Sat 06-Sep-08 11:09:01

Message withdrawn

Mamazon Sat 06-Sep-08 11:12:49

That is terrible!

I agree. close the account straight away so that they can't take anymore out.

MatNanPlus Sat 06-Sep-08 11:22:15

angry No way is it up to you, the fraud dept should cancel the card used, issue a new one and send you some paperwork which has the fraudulent transactions on it you tick/initial the ones that are fraudulent and send it all back, they refund the money while they investigate.

i moved from Barclays in 1992 when they were taking an extra day or 2 to clear cheques so they could levy bank charges on overdrawn account etc angry

pooka Sat 06-Sep-08 11:26:33

I am so glad that I left Barclays. Put up with their awful customer service for far too long. With first direct now and banking is a breeze.
When I was leaving barclays, I told them I wanted to close my account. Sent them a letter. And then they refused to transfer my balance to my new FD account until I went into the branch to hand over my cheque book and card. But sent that letter to the wrong address hmm. I was livid. Essentially were doing everything they could the complicate the change of account.

12345678910 Sun 07-Sep-08 13:24:04

i work for a bank and the company wont be able to take it again thats crap, unless they didnt advice you to cancel your card?

please tell me the card was cancelled?

it goes to fraud and you will get your money back but it can take a while,.

try not to worry i know easier said that done but just be extra careful when paying for items and ensure that all your statments etc are shredded before you bin them or even better burn them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now