Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Childcare Element of Tax Credits - 80%?

(9 Posts)
MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Fri 05-Sep-08 10:19:37

I have been reading the guff on claiming childcare costs through Tax Credits people, and it says 80% - no upto 80% - just 80% does this mean that everyone now who claims it will get 80% instantly? I am sure the booklets used to say UPTO

Anyone who works for them can tell me?

Laugs Fri 05-Sep-08 10:20:37

Sorry I don't know but would like to too.

LadyMuck Fri 05-Sep-08 21:49:44

There is a weekly limit for the amount of care that can be paid. Off the top of my head £175 per week for 1 child, £300 for 2. If your childcare bill is below that the the childcare element will be 80% of your costs.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Sat 06-Sep-08 19:54:54

And is that for everyone do you know or just say single parents?

ilovemydog Sat 06-Sep-08 19:56:06

How is that different from the grant they get at 3?

KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 19:56:51

Unless your income is too high

& I think too high is about £15K hmm

You do still get some (I think) but it phases down from that income I think

Entitledto.com is a good place to start to see how much you would get

solo Sat 06-Sep-08 19:59:45

has it all changed then? It DID used to say up to 80%, not that that was enough to help me, because I only got a very small %age as I was right on the salary border.

DoNotAnnoy Sat 06-Sep-08 20:03:52

OK the way it works is this.

They give you the childcare element (80%)
They give you the family element
They give you the baby element (if appropriate)
They give you blah blah blah element etc.

THEN they look at your earnings and decide how much they need to take away....and i think that the childcare element is the first thing that they subtract it from.

So technically it is up to 80%.

Ilovemy dog.

This is Tax Credit - which is paid monthly kind of like child benefit but means tested.

The free childcare at 3 is a nursery grant which is aid by teh LEA not hte tax office.

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Sun 07-Sep-08 09:40:44

Thank you DNA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now