Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

mum's paid for recorded delivery on monday and tax-office say still no sign of letter

(16 Posts)
cutekids Thu 04-Sep-08 13:39:16

unfortunately,post office didn't advise her to take out "guaranteed delivery"(or whatever it's called..on their website...)and all her information (she's just become a widow)and some of my Dad's were in the envelope.I have "tracked" online but saying that it's being processed but not signed for.she's been to the Post Office again today and woman totally disinterested.Handed my Mum a form she has to fill in if it doesn't turn up!)Although,their website does say they can't track between delivery and acceptance for recorded delivery,surely they should do some sort of investigating?She could end up another victim of identity fraud or anything couldn't she?

MelT76 Thu 04-Sep-08 14:16:10

I've sent stuff recorded before, unfortunately it doesn't guarentee a quick delivery but just that you get a signature when it does arrive. Mine took about 5-6 days. Not much help but still a chance it will get there.

Nagapie Thu 04-Sep-08 14:22:50

Was the letter addressed to anyone in particular at the tax office??? Perhaps the letter has arrived and the tax office can tell you if they have it??

I would say that previously when sending recorded delivery it did take some time for the system to be updated ... but now the articles should be tracked from the time you hand the item over at the counter...

Nagapie Thu 04-Sep-08 14:27:46

Sorry!! Duh!! You said the tax office said it wasn't there ...

The small print does say that the item will only be considered lost after 15 days!! It is also usually 2 working days for 1st class mail for confirmation of delivery...

forevercleaning Thu 04-Sep-08 14:29:02

I think the post office can verify that it was signed for at the other end. If you are looking on line it can take days and days to be updated.

Should be a phone number on the bit you took with you from PO

poorbuthappy Thu 04-Sep-08 14:30:24

My experience is that recorded delivery only logs the item once signed for - it doesn't log it going through any other part of the system.

Special delivery is the 1 where it is logged through the system, and that's why the post office charge you a fortune for it...

poorbuthappy Thu 04-Sep-08 14:33:28

And it goes through the system in exactly the same way as normal post, in the same time frame along with normal post - it is only different because of the signature needed at point of delivery...
I have had things sent recorded which have taken over 1 week to get there...but usually find that the online system is updated quite quickly.

MelT76 Thu 04-Sep-08 14:41:19

Plus depending on how busy they are at the tax office, it may be that their system hasn't been updated yet. They may have it but their 'system' doesn't know that yet.

platypussy Thu 04-Sep-08 14:51:32

I have also heard (not sure if true) that large organisations do not sign for recorded deliveries - simply because they get so many of them and its not feasable for someone to sign for them individually, so they just get delivered in bulk.

cutekids Thu 04-Sep-08 14:55:22

Well Mum has been to the PO who say exactly what is online.from what i've heard in the past,once the signature is on one of those little hand-machines,the info.is sent directly into the system...which means i presume that it should show straight away.
so,it looks as though she's just gonna have to hope it hasn't been intercepted and be patient....she's in a right state about it though.think it's worse cos she's just lost my Dad and things are getting on top of her...understandably.

Nagapie Thu 04-Sep-08 14:56:28

'Signed for' procedures have changed slightly from Aug this year , at our PO they are logged from the counter ...

cutekids Thu 04-Sep-08 14:57:37

yes,i worked for a large company albeit a long time ago and we (post room staff at the time!)very rarely were asked to sign for anything which meant that all mail (UNLESS UNDOUBTEDLY URGENT)was treated in the same way.i tried to tell her this but she thought i was talking through my arse....!

platypussy Thu 04-Sep-08 15:00:24

Nagapie - they are logged but not tracked (like SD's)

Nagapie Thu 04-Sep-08 15:03:41

I hope it all turns out well for your mum - the last thing she wants now is more hassle ...

platypussy - I stand corrected... thanks

platypussy Thu 04-Sep-08 15:06:30

Nagapie - I was not correcting you - you were perfectly correct! Sorry if it came across that way.

Nagapie Thu 04-Sep-08 16:07:06

Platypussy - it didn't smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now