Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Independant school providing supply teacher for a term - are we entitled to any fee refund?

(39 Posts)
mummyinred Tue 02-Sep-08 20:23:37

DD started school yesterday, in a letter home we were told class has no permanent teacher and a supply teacher will be provided until one is found and able to start, legally are we entitled to any refund of fees?

kormachameleon Tue 02-Sep-08 20:25:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

forevercleaning Tue 02-Sep-08 20:26:05

i doubt it very much, but agree this is not exactly what you have paid for.

DrNortherner Tue 02-Sep-08 20:27:40

Erm I am confused as to why you need a refund? Cause you beleive a permannat private school teacher is better than a supply teacher? How odd.

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 02-Sep-08 20:29:42

Why on earth would you be?!

Hopefully your supply teacher will be perfectly well equipped to teach your dd to spell 'independent' wink.

cupsoftea Tue 02-Sep-08 20:30:27

Perhaps they'll ask the parents to pay more as it must cost the school more?

AbbeyA Tue 02-Sep-08 20:31:24

Supply teachers are often excellent, they just don't want a permanent position.

nell12 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:34:39

NO you will not be entitled to a refundhmm

The supply teacher will probably be well known to the school and will do the job just as competently as any permanent teacher.

LOL CantSleepWontSleep, just what I was thinking!

findtheriver Tue 02-Sep-08 20:34:48

LOL CantSleep!

Dropdeadfred Tue 02-Sep-08 20:34:58

strange idea about refund..but I hate it when there is no permanent teacher

LynetteScavo Tue 02-Sep-08 20:35:04

I'm no expert in this field, but I could not imagine for one moment why you would be entitled to any refund in the fees!

I'm quite shock that you would even consider such a thing.

For what else might you also consider a refund???

MrsMattie Tue 02-Sep-08 20:35:21

Are you serious?

MrsMattie Tue 02-Sep-08 20:35:43

Are you serious?

brimfull Tue 02-Sep-08 20:35:55

snort

SqueakyPop Tue 02-Sep-08 20:37:25

Is the supply teacher not qualified?

Independent schools are not immune to the need for supply and short-term contract workers. They are almost always an asset to the school.

We had a superb supply teacher covering a recent maternity leave. She hit the ground running and was very enthusiastic, and had lots of ideas from her wide range of experience.

I have done contract and supply work in independent schools before getting this permanent job, and I would like to think that I was a valued member of staff. My results were certainly very good, if that is anything to go by. I worked as a regular member of staff, putting in the long hours expected in independent schools.

Independent schools have established protocols for covering long-term gaps, and usually stick to them.

Mutt Tue 02-Sep-08 20:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LynetteScavo Tue 02-Sep-08 20:40:42

<<snigger>>

But what if the head gets flu and is off work and the deputy stands in???? Now then you will need a refund!

ja9 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:41:15

are you for real!?

LynetteScavo Tue 02-Sep-08 20:46:53

I bet she doesn't have the balls to come back to this thread!

Hulababy Tue 02-Sep-08 20:49:58

hmm

No! I think that is the answer you will find.

I am assuming the supply teacher is fully qualified after all?

Last year we had a supply head for a while. Eeek! I should ask for the whole lot of fees back for thtat surely?! wink

LaylaandSethsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 20:50:28

No you're not entitled to a refund. The supply teacher should give exactly the same standard of education.
Teachers don't even have to have a teaching qualification to work in the private sector unlike the state sector.

nell12 Tue 02-Sep-08 20:51:48

Oh dear Layla, schoolgirl mistake

YES THEY DO angry

LaylaandSethsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 20:54:28

Oh no they don't. Best friends DH has just started at independent boys school in London, he has Bsc, Msc ,PhD but no teaching qualifications as in BEd, BA Education or PGCE. He is deemed to be very knowledgeable in the area he will teach ( which he is).

Marina Tue 02-Sep-08 20:54:33

I wish to god ds had had the supply teacher who covered his ghastly form teacher's mat leave the previous year.
She was smashing, unlike the woman she was replacing.
What you get for your money, mummyinred, is actually the courtesy of a letter home telling you this fact rather than you having to guess what's going on, IME. So you are not entitled to a fee refund and if you consider the home-school partnership to be at all worth maintaining, I would not ask for one.
Have you seen the supply teacher yet? It could well be an ex-member of staff helping them out.

Marina Tue 02-Sep-08 20:56:36

Same thing also happens in the state sector as well layla. Ask any one of the MN teachers, eg Martianbishop. There are quite a few unqualified teachers covering shortfalls in certain subjects in state secondaries all over the country, apparently. I don't think it happens much in the primary sector.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now