Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

more money going out than coming in....sinking.....

(7 Posts)
jackanorytori Tue 02-Sep-08 19:42:21

basically, DP lost his job about 4 months ago, and hasn't been able to get another job. he is currently signing on, and i am on maternity allowance. DP is out everyday looking for work and attending interviews, but never seems to get the final cut.

while he was working, he took out a loan with his so as we could move into our current place, as we were in a bedsit.

since loosing his job, we have been unable to pay rent (council told us they where paying most of it, but after a 'polite' letter, we now know otherwise) unable to pay back loan(was not told insurance on loan did not cover job loss) which has made his overdraft go through the roof, and they are now threatening with court action, as are the water company (mostly bailiffs).

we really dont have the money spare to pay what they are asking as we are just about getting our household bills ie gas electric food sorted.

basically i want to know, if we make an offer to these people as to how much we can really afford to pay, can they turn us down and still take us to court?
and, how would i go about getting the rent situation sorted, as i really dont want to be evicted 5 weeks before baby is born?

Any advice would be great thanks smile

Friendlypizzaeater Tue 02-Sep-08 19:49:55

have you had a look on the Martin Lewis website here

Lots of people with lots of advice ....

jackanorytori Tue 02-Sep-08 19:51:38

thanks, checking it out now

expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 19:54:27

i dont understand why your housing benefit application hasn't been processed.

and you can appeal decisions on housing benefit made by your council.

first thing you need to do is get in touch with your council about your housing benefit.

if your spouse is on JSA, you should be entitled to something.

expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 19:57:04

also, google 'Shelter' for more information about your housing situation.

jackanorytori Tue 02-Sep-08 19:59:28

thats what we thought, and also what we was told. the council told us, and sent us a letter saying they where sending all monies directly to our landlord, who has told the people he has gone through, they are not recieving anything, and then we get the phone calls and letters from our estate agents.

think a trip to my local council is definitely needed then.


expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 20:00:13

you need to see a housing officer. your landlord may not be truthful about having received the monies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: