Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help! Crisis loan to cover rent?

(11 Posts)
itsazoohere Tue 02-Sep-08 13:19:46

I STUPIDLY lost a housing benefit cheque last week, so I'm now £400 short for the rent. Housing Benefit can replace it, but not in time as the rent is due next monday. Can I apply for a crisis loan-or is that only for household things? I really can't pay it late-my landlord will NOT understand, and we really need our house! Can anyone advise?

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 13:21:58

crisis lo9an wont cover that much, but a budgeting loan will. but they take two weeks or so to come in.

GooseyLoosey Tue 02-Sep-08 13:26:49

Can't you talk to the Landlord - if the rent is only a few days late presumably it would be easier for them to accept that than start eviction proceedings.

ScoobyDoo Tue 02-Sep-08 13:28:49

Can't you get the council to send the replacement cheque straight to your landlord & phone him to explain you lost it & that the council are issueing another one which will be posted straight to him, then pay him the remainder as usual on the usual date?

itsazoohere Tue 02-Sep-08 13:30:00

Oh god, can't wait that long. I could get a letter from housing benefit confirming that they are re-issuing a cheque, but that there will be a delay if the jobcentre need proof, but I have to have it by monday!
(But thanks for quick reply misdee-am longtime lurker on mumsnet, and recognize you)

itsazoohere Tue 02-Sep-08 13:33:50

I could try to talk to them, but I'm currently trying to make them honour their promise of a new (safe) kitchen-been waiting for a year to have a room the kids can go in, so I don't want to give them any excuse to drag their heels further. H. B. say it could be weeks for replacement, and landlords don't like dealing with them-they want rent directly from me.

CarGirl Tue 02-Sep-08 13:34:05

I would contact your Landlord today - telling him in advance gives him a chance to think it through even if he is initially cross. Have you been there a while and have you always paid in full on time previously, why do you think he won't understand if it's a one off?

itsazoohere Tue 02-Sep-08 13:38:59

When we moved in I had to pay my rent upfront for a year (a loan from my dsis) so this is only my second month of paying the rent to the landlord, not my dsis IYSWIM. I'm just scared as I don't have an up to date tennancy, and I've had problems with landlords before. I'm terrified with idea of late rent!

CarGirl Tue 02-Sep-08 14:15:55

but from your Landlords point of view he has 13 months money from you, be honest and tell him, as you are going to pay he has little grounds to even start proceedings against you.

fiodyl Tue 02-Sep-08 14:24:05

rent has to be 8 weeks in arrears b4 they can do anything

itsazoohere Wed 03-Sep-08 15:12:55

Thank god I've managed to borrow the money from someone (althogh hate to do so) so I think we're fine. Now to get a working kitchen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now