Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Quick compensation question after accident

(8 Posts)
gem1981 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:47:48

just a quickie....

a car crashed into the back of me last month and the driver admitted full responibility.

I was 28 wks pregnant and hurt my back I went to hospital and was checked over and the pain went after a few days. (jarred back muscles)

the other driver's insurance company called and asked me if I was injured in the collision and I told them about my back.

they called today and offered me £150.00 compensation.

jsut wanted to know if I should accept this - is this the 'going rate'.

mumoverseas Tue 02-Sep-08 13:38:41

NO NO NO! DO NOT ACCEPT IT! I know you probably don't want any grief as pregnant and just want it sorted, but you MUST NOT settle at this stage. Find yourself a personal injury lawyer (most do no win no fee so you shouldn't need to worry about paying). If you settle for the 150, that is it, you won't get anymore. With back injuries you need to be so careful (don't want to scare you!) sometimes the full extent of the injury is not known for months if not years and if it turns out you have further problems in the future, if you've taken the 150 you won't have a claim. You could also find you've got whiplash, which doesn't always show straight away. You need to instruct a solicitor, get a proper medical/check up (other driver's insurance company should pay) and make sure you are 100% right. 150 is an insult and don't be bullied by them. You might actually find that if you tell them you are instructing solicitors they will miraculously increase their offer immediately! Good luck

pickie Tue 02-Sep-08 13:41:30

NOOOOO, dont settle as yet, one month is too early to settle. You never know what problems you might get from it and if you settle now you wont be getting nothing if you need treatment at a later stage!

I would take up Mumoverseas advice

ilovemydog Tue 02-Sep-08 13:42:46

No, do not accept.

But have you reported to your insurance company as they may have a legal department that deals in personal injury as a result of a motoring accident.

Or they may have a list of solicitors...

Freckle Tue 02-Sep-08 14:22:39

If you accept now and later on your condition worsens, you will be precluded from claiming for the more serious condition. Write back to them and indicate that you will probably be submitting a claim for personal injury, but that it is too soon to quantify it.

poorbuthappy Tue 02-Sep-08 14:35:41

I've just had a settlement from my accident last May - get in contact with decent solicitors (if you are in south wales let me know and I'll say who I used), you need at least 6 months to work out the extent of the injury if applicable. Backs/necks are funny things and don't take lightly to be being jarred!

intolerant Tue 02-Sep-08 14:48:08

Especially if you're pregnant. Wait and be sure that the final months of pregnancy and childbirth itself don't exacerbate things.

gem1981 Wed 03-Sep-08 10:30:31

will call them back today and let them know that I am seeking legal advice

thanks for your advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: