Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

DP has been accused of 'failing to stop' at an accident, we dont know about it, what happens now?

(15 Posts)
littleducks Tue 02-Sep-08 11:45:14

DP uses a friends car a certain times (insured any driver all fine in that respect) and said friend had police round this am, saying car was involved in an accident early July. in a town nearby we go to regularly.

There wasnt an accident, there is nothing on the calendar for that day so not sure where we were etc.

Really worried as to what happens next, do they have to prove the car was there/or do we have to prove it wasnt?????

Freckle Tue 02-Sep-08 12:02:18

If the police want to charge someone with something, they need evidence. Your friend should ask the police what evidence they have - any photos, witnesses, etc. What road the accident was on, etc. It might be that your friend's car has been cloned, so if you can prove you were elsewhere, they will have to find the cloned car.

QuintessentialShadow Tue 02-Sep-08 12:05:37

Could it be your friend trying to shift the blame onto you?
Can you prove where you actually were that day? Did you have the car that day?

edam Tue 02-Sep-08 12:08:57

if it gets really serious, I'd guess you could (or the police could) ask your bank for any cash machine withdrawals that day or the mobile phone company for its records. But I hope it won't come to that. Does dp use the car for work? Can he check what he was doing at work that day?

littleducks Tue 02-Sep-08 12:11:51

We had the car, no idea where we were atm, have to check

The town is a major hot spot for car cloning buy ours is a rather boring car its mostly high spec expensive cars (i watch road wars!!! and its local to me)

Friend has just said we had the car, i believe

nannyL Wed 03-Sep-08 21:42:47

do u have bank statements / credit card statements / itemised phone bill or anything else to jog your memory about where u might have been that day?

nannyL Wed 03-Sep-08 21:44:38

also if car was involvedin an accident SURELY there would be damage to the car?

I assume thats not he case so unlikely your car could be involved...

the 'witness' might have remembered the regestration number wrong perhaps?

tissy Wed 03-Sep-08 21:48:31

what kind of an accident?

surely any accident where the car hit something would leave a mark on the car. Are there any marks on the car?

Can you check your bank account online and see which shops you were in that day? You may not have been there at all. any friends you may have visited?

I would be suspicious of an accident that allegedly happened 2 months ago, and only now are they following it up.

tissy Wed 03-Sep-08 21:50:05

Was it a work day or a weekend?

Ewe Wed 03-Sep-08 21:51:32

Could you search your MN posts for that day? I sometimes post day to day rubbish! It could trigger something.

Olihan Wed 03-Sep-08 21:52:42

My friend's Peugot 307 was cloned so it's not just expensive cars. They found out because of a speeding ticket that arrived for them that had occured in a city over 50 miles away that they'd never been to.

Lubyloo Wed 03-Sep-08 22:01:37

I have had this happen to me. The police didn't come round but I had a letter from an insurance company saying that witnesses to an accident had provided my registration number and a description that matched my car and that they were going to pursue a claim against me. The accident had also happened a couple of months before I got the letter.

I am always a worrier and actually panicked that I had caused an accident and hadn't been aware. Luckily I checked my work rota and computer log on times and was able to prove that I had been at work at the time of the accident.

I simply wrote to the insurance company and told them that the witnesses must have been mistaken as I was at work five miles away at the time the accident happened. I told them I could provide proof if they wished but I never heard from them again.

As other people have said I would check bank statements, receipts, work rotas to try and jog your mind about what you were doing that day.

What action are the police going to take? Has your friend given them your details? I would probably contact them and see if they can provide you with any more info. Hope you manage to get it sorted.

MERLYPUSS Wed 03-Sep-08 22:14:51

I am assuming you are in the UK. If so. The police can 'chase' a fail to stop accident for six months. If they are saying that the car reg is correct the reason it has taken two months could be because the car is registered to a different person than your friend and the keeper, as per DVLA has nominated your friend as the new keeper. The evidence will be from independant witnesses or the driver/owner of the other car/damaged property. My expertise is a bit rusty but ... If the accident was a damage only and no offences were committed the police are after insurance details only and that is your friend's remit regardless of who is driving. If someone was injured then they need to know who the driver was.
I second going through bank details to see if this can pin you down and jog your memory.
Hope this helps.

littleducks Thu 04-Sep-08 08:44:40

Thanks everybody

Dh had taken some time off to spend with new baby so we werent really sticking to any schedule

We do go to the town regularly but dont live there

No damage to car, we are awaiting letter from police with details of when and where accident occured which will hopefully help

Fizzylemonade Thu 04-Sep-08 12:23:06

My mate had her fiesta cloned!!! Just a little 4 year old thing too, not even high spec.

I know this is going to sound really anal but I actually write a little note in my diary of where I was on a particular day. Boring stuff like - sainsburys, cinema to see X etc

My MIL has a 5 year diary and jots stuff into that, it isn't her day to day diary, it is just so she can look back at stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now