Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What are we entitled to?

(12 Posts)
EdieMcredie Tue 02-Sep-08 09:42:14

DP is a plasterer and for the past 2 weeks has been out of work. I work 22.5hrs a week.

We are struggling now with paying for food, mortgage etc. Phoned Jobcentre yesterday and DP has to go for an interview Friday to find out what he is entitled to.

Does anyone have an idea? Am panicking!!

Thankyou

MamaG Tue 02-Sep-08 09:43:07

go to www.entitledto.com which I'm told is very good

EdieMcredie Tue 02-Sep-08 09:46:42

Thankyou!

EdieMcredie Tue 02-Sep-08 09:53:13

Just tried it and there didn't seem to be anywhere to put that DP is unemployed.

MamaG Tue 02-Sep-08 09:58:42

but is there somewhere to put his earnings? If yoiu put zero, perhaps it would be same result?

Put your details into tax credits online calculator too, that should boost your income quite a bit (you'll be entiteld to working tax credits too, I think, as you work over 16 hours)

EdieMcredie Tue 02-Sep-08 10:05:39

I put zero but it said we didn't work enough to get working tax credits-but we are looking for help with psying mortgage, job-seekers etc.

Partner is desperate for work-is ringing round and down job centre every day but nothing!!

fiodyl Tue 02-Sep-08 10:42:23

You only need to be working 16 hours a week to claim WTC if you have children- think its 30 hours otherwise.

WRT mortgage payment help, there is nothing for the first 9 months and then after that it is interest only up to a limit of £100,000.

Do you have any payment protection insurance for your mortgage that you can claim on or would your lender allow a payment holiday until DP gets back into work?

EdieMcredie Tue 02-Sep-08 12:08:01

We have no payment protection and we had a payment holiday last year while I was on mat leave. We get 80 a month tax credits but due to go down now she is 1 this month. Just wondered what jobseekers was and if we were entitled. Bless DP he is at the job centre again.

Thanks for all advice!

eandh Tue 02-Sep-08 12:12:57

Phone tax credits as you will get more CTC and possible WTC as well

My Dad is a self employed steel fixer and is rarely out of work, however, was a few months back and signed on think he got £49 per week (my Mum works around 20hours a week) but luckily for them its only them at home and no mortgage etc (I can remember him being out of work in the late 80's/early 90's and things being very tight but they alsways managed to cope as Mum used to make sure cupboards/frezzer stocked for times like this and think my Nan used to give us some shopping each week)

EdieMcredie Tue 02-Sep-08 12:27:30

We phoned them but they said it would be updated for next tax year??!!

I know nothing about benefits!

We knew it would be a struggle when he started his plastering but he is so good at it and it's annoying to think he can't find work.

I am doing overtime which is a saving grace-but there is a limit to how much is on offer.

fiodyl Tue 02-Sep-08 12:49:03

I think the JSA rate for a couple and one child is about £110 a week but this will be reduced by the amount your earn per week less a disregard of £10(or £15) a week.

Tax credits should definatley go up and you might be able to get some council tax benefit too.

Its been announced today that the mortgage interest element of IS is going to change from £100k to £175 and the waiting time will be 13 weeks instead of 39 but this wont take effect until April next year.

EdieMcredie Tue 02-Sep-08 19:10:29

Thanks, that's very helpful.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now