Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

brought a dishwasher from curry's yesterday....................

(8 Posts)
sugarpear Tue 02-Sep-08 07:31:05

it was reduced as it was an ex display model. So we was told. But having got it home there was a sticker on the front that wasnt there before saying it was pre owned. It looks brand new so wasn't too fussed but all plumbed and plugged in turned it on and .................. nothing!

It doesnt work!!

Am fumimg and i want to know where i stand.

Firstly we was mis informed in the shop about it being ex display. And we percifically (sp) asked does it work in which we was told yes it does.

I will phone currys as soon as they open but im not prepared to be waiting a week or 2 for it to be fixed.

Doesnt this have something to do with trading standards/ consumer rights?

FrazzledFairyFay Tue 02-Sep-08 07:35:06

If they sold you faulty goods then you should be able to return it for an instant refund.

Also, "ex-display" and "pre-owned" are totally different as an ex-display machine indicates that it would have never been plumbed in and used - so I'd say it was misrepresentation. Quote the Sale of Goods Act at them.

Freckle Tue 02-Sep-08 08:18:45

You have the right to reject the goods and get a full refund, get a replacement or give them the opportunity to get it fixed. And it is your choice as to which of these options you select. Don't let the store tell you that you have to let them try to repair it first.

You need to quote the Sale of Goods Act 1979 stating that the item is not as described (as it is pre-owned rather than ex-display), not of satisfactory quality and not fit for purpose. I would telephone them and follow it up with a letter, as this is useful evidence if you end up in a dispute. You could copy the letter to your local trading standards office.

sugarpear Tue 02-Sep-08 09:38:14

this is a nightmare. not covered under gaurantee.

Lauriefairycake Tue 02-Sep-08 09:48:05

of course it's covered by warrantee, you bought it yesterday. Speak to manager, tell them to come and collect it asap and tell them you want your credit card re-credited within 7 days.

If they are remotely arsey call Trading standards as it is not fit for purpose and ask their advice. Send them a letter recorded delivery stating you are rejecting the goods.

sorry for you sad

sugarpear Tue 02-Sep-08 09:51:44

well have just got off the phone to the manager. I can arrange to have this collected and get a full refund. Turns out the product is 5 years old too!! Would never have brought it knowing it was that old.

Lots of fluffing around. But got there in the end.

Just think its pants i know have to drive to several towns away to sort this out.

Lauriefairycake Tue 02-Sep-08 09:54:09

but why can't they refund the card you paid with, why do you have to go there at all when they are collecting it?

This should not be made inconvenient for you, angry on your behalf.

sugarpear Tue 02-Sep-08 09:57:46

i paid cash. So i guess i need to go get it. but will they refund today or after they collect the dishwasher?

I want to go elsewhere and get another one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now