Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is this a scam?

(6 Posts)
OrmIrian Mon 01-Sep-08 13:15:20

Someone I know (have to be cagey as this is supposed to be kept quiet) has been told she has won a lot of dosh in a draw from a mail-order company she has used for many years. She was entered in it last year and then forgot about it. Got a call a few weeks ago telling her she was had won the 3rd prize and to await another call which would tell her when the cheque was coming. She got the second call and has been told it won't be for a few weeks. She has already been ripped off once - as many elderly people did a few years ago - by being asked for money to release a non-UK lottery payment she was due hmm so is very wary. However this time they haven't asked her for money, or asked for bank details or anything of that nature.

Anyone heard of anything like this? Why can't they just send the cheque, why does it have to be delivered? What's the delay? WHy is it supposed to be secret? Seems odd. ATM I am just worried about her being disappointed, but can't help having fears about her losing out financially in some way.

TheArmadillo Mon 01-Sep-08 13:17:04

I would check it out.

Get advice from local trading standards dept (at your local council).

Chances are if it is dodgy they are likely to have heard of it.

FAQ Mon 01-Sep-08 13:17:56

Sounds genuine, I would be concerned if they'd asked for bank details etc etc - probably being delivered as they'll almost certainly want to take a photo of the prize winners (which will probably have beenin the T&C's for the competition entry)

Possibly secret as the prize winners list isn't published yet? (often published after the prize has been sorted/delivered)??

OrmIrian Mon 01-Sep-08 13:20:06

OK. Thanks.

It is a bonafida company - Canadian not UK. I will suggest that she tries trading standards.

LOL at the idea of her getting her photo taken. She'll love that...not grin

SaintGeorge Mon 01-Sep-08 13:20:15

What FAQ said smile

OrmIrian Mon 01-Sep-08 13:27:31

Good.

THankyou.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now