Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can i claim for my car? Please help I am utterly thick.....

(6 Posts)
Trebuchet Mon 01-Sep-08 12:29:33

can barely write as enormous belly in the way......

I am a self employed actress. It costs me a fortune travelling to and from auditions, for jobs that I often don't get. Had a banger for years, it finally died at Christmas.

I absolutely need a car to get to jobs and meetings, I live in a small village with crap public transport. I spent all my savings, sob, on a car at Christmas, £4800. Am I able to claim it as an expense? Approx 85% of its' use is work related, other than work I lead a very small kind of life. Do the shopping in it once a fortnight and see in-laws on the way back from there, in same fortnight I may have travelled to London 5 times, Manchester once and done several shorter trips into town for research stuff.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks

hf128219 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:31:28

Are you talking about VAT?

Trebuchet Mon 01-Sep-08 12:39:58

No just as an expense on my tax return. Sadly don't earn enough for vat.

dilbertina Mon 01-Sep-08 12:42:18

Ask the tax office, I would have thought you could off-set some of your travel expenses against tax (you will need petrol rcpts etc). By the way, why didn't you get a cheaper car if things are tight? Not necessary IMO to spend that much to get a reliable car.

Trebuchet Mon 01-Sep-08 12:47:37

I wouldn't know, I was on my own, clueless and desperate. Didn't want to get sold a dodgy car unknowingly. The only person I know who knows about cars said if I got anything other than nearly new I was just buying other peoples problems so I took his advice and bought nearly new, planning to not have to buy another car for quite some time and run it into the ground.

catweazle Mon 01-Sep-08 22:33:39

useful info here on capital allowances

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now