Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

No contract - have I got to give 4 weeks notice still?

(10 Posts)

I started a new job as a midwife 3 weeks ago and the unit is awful, really really poorly staffed. I can't face going back there, am in tears at the thought of having to work another shift there. They haven't given me a contract yet, do I still have to give 4 weeks notice or can I just not go in? Am sat here in tears and feeling really panicky at the thought of work which is not like me at all.

annh Sun 31-Aug-08 18:27:38

Are you already on four weeks notice? If you are in a probabionary period, perhaps you only have to give a week's notice? If you really can't face going back, I can't imagine that having someone unhappy and stressed in such a vital role could be good for the unit and realistically what can they do to you? Theroetically, they could sue you for not working your notice period but this is expensive and time-consuming and I can't see them pursuing it. Only thing they might do is mention it on a future reference but sounds like you wouldn't be using them as a reference anyway!

No, am not on 4 weeks notice yet. I keep trying to pluck the courage up to do it, but dh isn't happy either. Which is annoying me as we don't need the money. If he was been more supportive then I wouldn't be dragging my feet.

tink123 Sun 31-Aug-08 20:34:31

At the end of the day, you are being placed under pressure where you could easily make a mistake through tiredness or stress and midwifery units are the last place that should be understaffed.

I am not suggesting that you will make a mistake (sure you are a fab mw), just I have been there (as a nurse) and I have come home in tears. It is not worth it!!!

I have just handed my notice in (partly due to be being fed up of stress).

geisha Sun 31-Aug-08 20:51:45

awww stripey, I really feel for you.... ok i'm a nurse, not a lawyer but I don't think you are obliged to work your notice even if you have a contract under certain circumstances - although you obviously wouldn't expect tp be paid for them. However, it's difficult to see the wood for the trees whilst you are feeling as you do and I would strongly recommend calliong in sick and arranging to meet with your line manager if at all possible to discuss your concerns. This serves a couple of purposes - it means that if there is any possible way forward for you in that organisation your line manager may be able to offer necessary support (although, I'm sure it seems unlikely). It also means if you wish to persue your career, you can truthfully say to future employers that the reason that you left after such short employment was x y z but that you did do a b c about it before leaving. If it is appropriate to have a friend, colleague or union rep present at any such meeting ensure you do. hth.

Thanks for the advice, have been crying at work for most of the day. I'm sure thats what some por pregnant woman needs, a sniveling midwife to cope with. hmm

Work certainly know how unhappy I am now. Have had a chat with my line manager who has apoligised and says its all a bit crap at the moment, etc. But really there's not much she can do as staffing is so bad. She's going to get a mroe senior m/w to keep a closer eye on me. Just not sure its going to help as they'll be checking on me when they have time. But that may not be when I need them if you see what I mean.

I have an interview in 3 or 4 weeks for another job. This other hospital know me as I do bank there already and I love it there. Think I'm in with a good chance. The only thing that stopped me handing my notice in today is the thought that it may look bad in a job interview. But then if I can explain what situations I'm been put in surely they'd understand. Not sure I can cope with even another 2 months of this.... sad

geisha Mon 01-Sep-08 20:02:31

stripey - you have done really well going in at all today. good luck with your interview x

MrsHappy Mon 01-Sep-08 20:10:12

As you have been there for less than a month and have no written terms you do not need to give a minimum amount of notice and you could just decide not to go in again, although you would need to consider how that might reflect on you and I would suggest that it is better to give, say, a week's notice if you can bear it.

Once you have been there for a month you will need to give a week's notice (or more if that is what is stated in your written terms).

Thanks. I handed my notice in today, they said they wanted 4 weeks. So although I don't have to give them anything I'll stay another 4 weeks for the sake of leaving on a good footing. I feel better already!

geisha Tue 02-Sep-08 20:24:49

glad you are feeling more positive stripey

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now